Help! Need Suggestions!

mullers3acers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 9, 2007
la porte, In
We have around 75 hens and two roosters. For about three weeks now we have only been getting a dz eggs or less from the girls. We give them laying crumbles, oyster shell, and have kept things as clean as possible. We are have a mouse and rat problem due to the fact that the farmers are in the fields and they are trying to find food.But the barn cats are taking care of that problem. We have talked to a family friend and he said that sometimes when the weather changes it really effects their laying. Any other suggestions? Yes we have been leaving a light on for at least 12 hrs. We 've never had egg production down this low before.

I am getting sporadic eggs. My chickens have been molting, and the weather changed. I think they slow down in the cooler weather anyway. Sometimes it's a mystery why they take a break. You sound like you are doing everything right. Maybe put some golf balls in the nests.

How old are the chickens? Could they be molting (do you have feathers everywhere)?

Chickens need more than 12 hours of light a day to keep egg production up. I think it is 15-16 hours...don't have my book in front of me.

I leave some golf balls in my nest boxes so the hens
know where they should lay their eggs....they think that the golf balls are eggs and another hen must be laying their eggs there so that must be the place to lay the eggs....or they could be thinking "Ah ! that reminds me I am a chicken I should be laying a egg also!!!" hahaha!! Good Luck! by the way if you leave a real egg in the nest box they may end up getting a bad habit and pecking the egg....golf balls are harder...

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
At the risk of sound like Miss Know-it- all, let’s look at chicken physiology. From my educational years, I have more than a few Avian Biology classes under my belt. I have raised several psittacine and passerine birds. And, I have had my share of chickens. If you will allow me to ruminate.

As we know, bird physiology is tied to the seasons. That is why we use light to extend their day. Bird’s skulls are thinner that most animals. They receive light through their eyes and their skulls.

As the light increases, it stimulates the pineal gland in the skull and this increases their wellbeing and with that an increase in their appetite. The birds eat more and put on more fat. This then brings the birds into breeding condition. With longer days, this allows more time to feed and raise their young before colder weather hits. That's natures plan.

In the Southern Hemisphere, their seasons are opposite. As anyone would know trying to raise Lady Gouldian Finches. They are determined to breed in winter and raise young.

Birds at the equator get 12 hours daylight everyday so they molt all year. I will try not to go too much further. I am sure there is more science out there since I was in college.

For anyone else out there, please feel free to correct me. It has been a long time since I had my book learning and I may need to be update. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom