Help! Need to find info on if chickens are legal in Lansing MI

rockshar

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Lansing Michigan
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I am searching for information on whether or not chickens are legal in lansing mi. Can anyone help me?

many thanks in advance!!
shar

Last edited:
NO, No No, Read - Michigans - right to farm Law! Then goggle, Michigan, right to farm,
Supreme court Decisions !!!
I have been thru this and won. they told us we couldn't have 6, Now we have Hundreds. Know your rights. you just have to have the intent to sell an egg or two and Practice GAAMPS, even if you live in a trailer park you are a farm. Zoning and ordanances mean nothing, go above thier heads and read the state law. Its that easy.
Only get your info from state of michigan, web sites, all the cities won't put it on thier sites. or if they do they leave alot out.
Check out the research page on Destiny farms web site for the Links.
Take a copy of the law to an attourney and for $50 ask him to translate. You will be suprised.
also, chicken coops are Agicultural buildings and there fore exempt from any permits.and has no referance to Zoning .

Each state is different as to agricultural rules and regulations. Also each city can impose restrictions as to the safety and well being of the general populace. Here in Louisville, KY we are allowed to keep 4 non-crowing and one crowing bird on our property.
D.gif

Also depending on how the state charter/constitution is written, will determine if the local city government can inact laws that are more restrictive than those of the state. Usually it comes down to case by case situation.
jumpy.gif

Also, don't forget to consider your neighbors in your planning. If they are against it, and you go ahead with your plans without consulting them, they can make your life miserable.:thun:thun
Maybe by offering them some of the extra eggs that your hens produce will make them amenable.

Where I live in the city, my neighbors don't care, as I have an alleyway on one side of the property, and railroad yards behind me.
woot.gif

Right now I am in the process of building a new racing loft for my homing pigeons and fantails. Once I get that finished and space cleared for the new coop, I will be building a new coop and then get my chickens.
big_smile.png
wee.gif
:weee ( My neighbors already refer to my house as the zoo)

But when in doubt about legalities, it is always best to seek correct advice from an attorney.

Good Luck

Fr. Chuck

(30 tanks of tropical fish, 8 English Budgies, 7 American parakeets, 1 Canary, 2+ Ring Neck Doves, 13 pigeons, 6 Miniature Pinchsers ,
and in the spring Chickens!)

Okay I am lost when it comes to Michigan farm laws
I live in Grand Rapids and plan to get 6 illegal chickens
Is there really a way to do it legal:fl

It also depends on LOCAL ordinances!
If you are out near Waverly/Grand Ledge area, or out near E. Lansing /Okemos-- you are a LOT more likely to be ok than on the Northside.....

Call your Township Supervisors office-- every Township in Lansing has it's own set of ordinances for noise, pets, landscaping etc...

Good Luck from an Ex-Waverly-chick!!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom