Help - need to kick the turkey poults out!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BeardedChick, Jun 23, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

They are almost 6 weeks old and pew!! They stink! The brooder is indoors, and I have been bringing them in at night because night time temperatures are still in the mid-upper 40's.

When can I move these smelly turkeys out into the coop? I have setup an enclosed coop for them, can I keep them out there at night if they have a light?
  2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes you sure can.move them out to their coop to stay.
  3. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    My poults are just six weeks today, and they have been outside in the barn without a heat lamp at night for two weeks now. Start by turning it off during the day, then after a few days, night too. They will be fine as long as they have shelter.
  4. BeardedChick

Thank you so much - I will get them a bag of fluffy shavings and a roost and kick them out tonight!

They have been out in the tractor during the day, and they really like being outdoors. I think the green stuff they are eating in the tractor is contributing to the ever increasing turkey stink. [​IMG]
  5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My turkeys are the same age. They are outside now:

6. BeardedChick

Love the big rosebush by the turkey-tat. I still need to build a proper run. Are yours bourbon reds, too?

Picked up shavings today, and my neighbor gave me a door for the coop. Turkeys are movin' out tonight!
  7. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    yes they are stinky little birds. I had mine in the house in a fish tank and cleaned several times a day but peew! had to put them in a large dog crate on the enclosed porch a few nights ago. Im getting a cute playhouse tommorow or thursday to put them in outside.How do such little cute things create such a deadly smell. Do they stink that bad outside cause if they do I dont think I will raise them again or wait till they are 35 or so lbs to cull.
  8. BeardedChick

Mine don't stink outside - but they are next to a horse corral. So who knows how it smells to 'normal' people (where can we find one of them to tell us?? [​IMG])

I got my coop fixed up with a nice 6' pony wall divider inside of a shed - and darn if they weren't all roosting up there this morning! Now I have to extend the wall to the roof. I thought it would take them a couple of weeks to fly that well.

Oh Hamburgers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by