Help... need to make a decision in regards to my Golden.

We've only ever bred show dogs, from champion parents, but it seriously knocked me off my "high horse" when it came to "oops" litters. Our very first litter was an accident, and the "exposure" happened in the blink of an eye, almost literally. We were advised that Mismate was just too risky, and we didn't want to spay her and end a promising show career. It wasn't exactly a tragedy for us, because it was a breeding we had planned to do later on, anyway, but the dam was being shown at the time, and poodles being a "big hair" breed, it was just bad timing. We had also not at that time completed the dam's health and genetic testing. It all worked out okay, but I can only imagine how I'd have felt if she'd wound up having some genetic or other health problem (for example, bad hip or elbow x-rays) that would normally exclude a dog from our breeding program, and puppies were already several months old and living with new owners. Geez, I'd feel terrible.

So, even though this is hard, and probably a financial burden right now (and I KNOW how that can be--we're playing "juggling vet bills" right now with our horses), just think what relief you'll feel when it's behind you and DONE. What a big sigh you can breathe then!
smile.png

Looks like we're going to have to invest in a fence as well. My husband let her out (5am) and was on lookout when the dog across the street came around the corner of our house and got her again. We've talked to our neighbors many times about this dog getting loose. This is the 4th time in a week (at least). And we've also given them cable chains to keep him locked up but they are just not careful of making sure he's latched right. He's gotten into many fights with our other dog. My husband chased him back to the neighbors house, but this is getting ridiculous. Now I'm apprehensive about letting my kids out to play, with supervision of course but still it takes a second. Max our GS didn't even fight this time.

FYI... Max is a shelter dog. We know all too well the problems in shelters. He was starved and when my Husband got him he was only 60 pounds and that was after the SPCA had "bulked" him up. Not too great for a German Shepard. He sat at that shelter for over a year before Hubby found him. He also had severe behavior problems. We're talking devouring a chair and couch (fluff everywhere) and serious chew issues. I had to contact a trainer or else he would of had to be rehomed as he was starting to get aggresive toward me.

So I have gone through a lot with my dogs. I'm trying to not be like my neighbors (the ones with the dog) who are on their 4th litter of kittens this summer. Now the kittens are seriously inbred. we really are overrun with cats in this neighborhood. They are marking houses, using flowerbeds as litter boxes, etc. They have about 20 cats and kittens over there.

Call animal control. If the animal is a nuisance it's one thing but if it's a danger to humans or pets then that is a whole different story. Same thing with the cats. They are a major nuisance when it gets to be that many.

Last edited:
I hate my neighbors. The guys an idiot. He has 1 dog that he lets run the neighbor hood, and the dog doesnt even look healthy, and im willing to bet it doesnt have its shots. So what does the idiot do, he goes and gets a dog that is about 2-3 times the size. I gave it about 2 weeks till I see the dog roaming around, well 2 weeks later, the new dog is running around the neighborhood. Id like to smack him around a little bit. Such an idiot!

Chelsea... I believe in NY there's leash law... it kills me! I don't believe these dogs have their shots either. My other neighbors have those spray motion sensors in their yard to keep the cats out. Now those things are around $50 a peice. We are looking into a chain link for the backyard which is going to cost us a pretty penny...

The cats are starting to breed with their offspring. I get very upset by that. It's not healthy for the cats or kittens.

Your neighbor sounds like mine. They don't know how to take care of what they have and add more to their collection. I just pray that the dog doesn't get into my chickens!!! I will have some serious problems. My dogs are kept in by invisible fence. But now we need to have a regular one. I'm thinking chainlink might be the most economical way to go. I have done so much gardening that I really don't want to hide it ya know?

My biggest thing is she's my babysitter... so it's hard for me to really take action. She was offended when the other neighbors put the motion sprayers up. I won't even touch my front flower bed because of the cat poop. I figure the weeds are a lot better than the smell of cat poo.

To be honest i'd be worried about someone who can't take responsibility for their own animals looking after a child of mine
hmm.png
If they can't keep a dog in their yard, can they make sure somebody else's child doesn't get into anything dangerous?

So is Bella getting or has she been to a spay clinic? That solves all the problems, she and your family would be at the peaceful level again...I always have to do payment plans for such surgeries as I've rescued and rehomed for the past +10 years. I'm done now, one last one, a border collie pup. I just can't take on other peoples responsibilities and mistakes nor rescue dogs as fast as pups and litters are born- I still have people call me asking or demanding I take one here and there but I'm dog tired of that and want to enjoy what I have while I can. I'm currently paying on this last spay with each paycheck and the border collie rescues are not accepting nor responding as they are full and this one's not a purebred. Better to get it done now and have peace and happiness for all...

Last edited:
Hang in there, you're a great momma for doing this as many people either dump the doggie like a hot potato or have it put down. Big Hugs to you and her, too. Its also hard on her going thru all this. We spayed my fifth child's (young adult) golden after her first heat as she was just like her dam, totally unhappy and letting everyone know it when it was "her time of the..." and we/she's never looked back toward any regret at all, we LOVE that dog and she's very content except when her mama works too much and I'm only "grama" -

Back
Top Bottom