Help... need to make a decision in regards to my Golden.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mycookoonest, Jul 11, 2008.

  1. Mycookoonest

    Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

    376
    2
    131
    May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    We have a beautiful purbred Golden Bella. She just came into her first heat a week ago. Well yesterday she got tangled up with the neighbors dog. He's a mix. Our neutered German shephard got into a fight with the dog so I have no idea if he even *Uhhum* got the job done. We were hoping to wait until this heat to get her fixed. Money is a bit tight but when I called the vet to see if we could get her in after the tangle they said we have to wait until after she comes out of heat. Now here's my moral dilema... should I take her anyway not knowing if she's pregnant or just let her have a litter if she is... how soon before I would know. I'm probably going to have to wait about 2 weeks to take her in anyway if he won't spay her in heat considering the circumstances.

    Oh and we just dropped $400 on her a month ago because she tangled up with a porcupine and got 60-100 quils to show for it... so I'm not all too excited to be spending about the same to get her fixed... My Vet starts spays at $352 including everything for under 6 months of age... well she's over a year so they told me she'll be more expensive...

    UGH! I really should have gotten her spayed 6 months ago I know... but 6-7 months ago was Chirstmas!

    DH is having a fit!
     
  2. cjeanean

    cjeanean Can't Decide

    Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I think abortion, whether animal or human, isn't right. But when it comes down to whether you can afford to feed your family or a litter of puppies, that's when I'd make an exception with the animal situation. People take precedence over animals when it comes down to tough situations like that. As far as spaying her goes, look into some non-profit organizations that help with spaying/neutering. That's where we took our rescued dog, and got him done for $20. That was spay and neuter kansas city. Check with your humane society and see if they have any resources!! (You can give the puppies up for adoption, too....everyone loves puppies!!)
     
  3. Psittizen Shikkin

    Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

    227
    0
    109
    Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    $352 for a spay?!?!?!? OMG! That's ridiculous. Is he the only vet in the state? I'd shop it around.
     
  4. Mycookoonest

    Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

    376
    2
    131
    May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Thanks!!!

    Since I'm pregnant myself I just can't do that ya know what I mean? I don't think it'll be any more expensive to let the pups come than if I went ahead and spayed her now... It'll be about $100 or more.

    DH is dead set against it but I think he's going to have to deal. I think I'll check out the friends of animals link I just got in my email. $90 at a participating vet doesn't sound like a bad deal, that's asside from the vets additional fees...
     
  5. arlee453

    arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Personally, I'd have her spayed as soon as it is possible for the dog after her heat is done. My understanding is they don't want to do a spay while a dog is in heat due to the increased size of the organs and the larger amount of blood flow & potential blood loss.

    Definately shop around and see what discount programs may be available in your area. Your local Animal Control, or Humane Society may be able to help point you in the right direction.

    Having puppies has risks of its own for your dog. While USUALLY everything goes well, if you are having trouble affording the spay, an emergency c-section in the middle of the night would set you back a WHOLE lot more. Not to mention then you have the issue of finding homes for the pups, possible vet bills associated with them, etc.

    Just what I would do...
     
  6. Peaguy

    Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

    312
    7
    151
    Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Talk to someone at your local Humane Society or shelter as sometimes they have proframs where you can get a voucher for a FREE spay/neuter. It may be that you have to go to a particular vet to "cash it in" but that would be much easier on the pocket book than $400.00! I would imagine not all HSocieties do this but it sure would be worth looking into and asking questions, If they don't offer some kinda discounted program they mat know someone in your area that does!
     
  7. Frozen Feathers

    Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I would get a new vet and get her fixed ASAP. Any vet I have ever known has said spay before the first heat to prevent breast cancer and complications late in life with female dogs and cats.

    You're going to spend more money getting puppies vaccines and feeding them, vet checks, etc. At least in my state, you have to legally keep them until they are 8 weeks of age. There are enough dogs on this planet that don't have homes at it is.

    Contact the ASPCA or whatever and see if you can't get a discounted spay. That's really an insane price for spaying a dog!!
     
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  8. ilovemychickies

    ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

    Hmmm. I wouldn't get her spayed until after the puppies get here. I agree with cjeanean, I couldn't have her spayed knowing that she might have puppies inside. I'd have guilt for the rest of my life. Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
     
  9. spatcher

    spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

    881
    2
    151
    Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    If it just occurred, see another Vet. All they do is give the dog a shot and no more pregnancy. The SPCA here in Va have a program for spay/neutering that is very reasonable. And, if you happen to receive any form of public assistance its even cheaper. Call them as soon as you can. They may also have a Vet on call to give the shot to your dog and at a lower cost. Worth asking! No sense bringing puppies into the world only to be put down later!
     
  10. augiedranch

    augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

    754
    5
    171
    Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i am a veterinary technician. i do these kinds of "spays" all the time. thats why they are charging you more, because it is a harder surgery, if she were infact pregnant.

    however, they can be spayed while in heat. its just a little bloodier.. not any more dangerous or anything. sometimes more expensive. id get a second opinion and take her in as soon as possible to get her spayed


    SINCE SHE WAS BRED TO A MUTT. (NO OFFENSE TO MUTTS I HAVE MANY) YOU WILL END UP WITH UNWANTED PUPPIES.

    they could have a hard life getting sent to the pound, starvation (not by you, but if you found it a home and they didnt want it) etc etc

    if she has lets say 6 puppies. what if the new owners dont spay/neuter at least four of them.. and they each have six.

    look at all the puppies that are going to be homeless, in shelters, neglected, nobody wants mutts anymore... its a terrible thing. i volunteer at a shelter, and its hard to see all the hundreds of animals that come through there just because of unwanted litters etc.. its really sad.


    i would spay her now. or asap
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by