HELP! need to put down my hen - dont know how

Hey cochenchic, you can send your bird to the state vet for a necropsy to see why it died. If you are losing birds this might be the thing to do.

There's also the broomstick method, what I prefer for dispatching old friends, it's less bloody than the chop. Take something like a broomstick, hold the bird by the legs, place her neck under the stick, hold it down firmly with a foot on each end, and give a firm strong yank on the legs until you feel a crunch as the neckbones give. The bird will die instantly, but give reflexive flaps for a few minutes afterwards. You can walk away, or cover the bird with a blanket or bucket if that sight bothers you.

Another thing that might help is to find another chicken keeper in your area with whom you could trade difficult dispatching chores. It can be easier to focus on doing the job efficiently when you're not so emotionally attatched to the individual.

I'm sorry for your dilemma.

Put the chicken in a single holding cage....put it behind your cars tail pipe....crank your car and let it run for a few minutes...chicken will go to sleep and it is a lot easier than having to kill it...makes since to me...

still haven't done it... I was hoping mother nature would take care of things. The will to live is amazing and that makes me feel worse. I do want to know what is wrong with my chicken and the other one that died in Feb.- same symptoms. I have thought about the state vet doing necroposy analysis.. but so afraid that if they find something... they will come down and kill my flock... my uncle lost his entire flock in CA just because a bird within a kilometer had new castles...he spent his life perfecting his breeds.. gone in a matter of a day
sad.png
i have kept my eye on my flock for symptoms (none) and the bird has been away from flock for 2 wks. fingers crossed. if one more comes down w/ same symptoms.. i will call state vet for the safety of others...
Thanks so much for everything everyone.

Back
Top Bottom