Help need your advice please

Looks like a Pharaoh, but can't be too sure because of the angle of the picture.....You did say 1 male, because it looks like there are 2 quail in the cage.
Hi, yeah a male the one at the back died she was on of his hens. Lots of people say they eat the eggs even though they maybe fertile, they are the same as non fertile eggs until incubated. Still trying to make my mind up whether to get him or not. ; )

hi, I bought the male and got him 4 hens but they are too small at the moment, only 3 weeks old so I have them indoors until the weather warms up and they are a few weeks older. they are so cute. I noticed one of my hens has a sore belly today so I will go to their house tonight and check for mites. I have read DE is the best thing to get so I will get some tomorrow anyway as it has many uses. :)

and why would you have an issue eating a fertile egg anyway..I wouldn't want to eat a partially incubated egg...but there is the exact same thing inside a fertile and non fertile egg, unless one is warmed slightly to 100 degrees or so...Tissue that might one day become a baby chick...
Hi, im over the worrying about eating the egg thing. Cant wait for them to start laying now. thank you for your help. :)

8589269-387-239x286.jpg
this is him not sure the type. ;)

It looks like a male couturnix quail. I used to have them, they have speckles eggs, perfect to boil and then put in a jar and pickle. You pickle the eggs in leftover pickle juice. Takes a couple of weeks but very good. They are very docile, easy to handle and I never had an aggressive animal. They lay an egg a day and never sit on them, so you will not have to worry about eating an embryo

hi, I bought the male and got him 4 hens but they are too small at the moment, only 3 weeks old so I have them indoors until the weather warms up and they are a few weeks older. they are so cute. I noticed one of my hens has a sore belly today so I will go to their house tonight and check for mites. I have read DE is the best thing to get so I will get some tomorrow anyway as it has many uses. :)
If you see bugs on the DE would be good, but you could also use bird mite and lice spray that you would buy from a pet supply company. I have used it on all kinds of birds, even babies, it works just fine.

If you see bugs on the DE would be good, but you could also use bird mite and lice spray that you would buy from a pet supply company. I have used it on all kinds of birds, even babies, it works just fine.
Oh, I forgot to tell you, they are fully mature really, really young,, they can start laying eggs at 4-6 weeks old. Thank isn't a typo, it is really that young.
When my kids were little, they could hold them just fine, if they ever got away from them, they were easy to catch.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, they are fully mature really, really young,, they can start laying eggs at 4-6 weeks old. Thank isn't a typo, it is really that young.
When my kids were little, they could hold them just fine, if they ever got away from them, they were easy to catch.
Hi Bird_brain, thank you for your reply, they are so tiny and to think they will lay soon. It's very addictive, I started off with 4 hens last Easter, one died :( now I have 7 hens, 3 silkie chicks and now 5 quails. I need to stop or move i'm running out of room.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom