Help needed ASAP please

kara89

Hatching
Jul 18, 2016
Apologies in advance for my complete lack of knowledge ! , I have just joined this site to try and ask for some advice , I live in the west coast of Scotland , countryside , I was driving home about half an hour ago it's 00:49am just now , I ended up finding a baby wood pigeon in the middle of the road , I had a look around but it was in an unlit stretch of road very dark no trees around where it was , I am aware that people in the houses nearby have cats as its actually just along the road however I brought it home (have I made a huge mistake ?!) very worried , it made no attempt to fly away just seemed very stunned . It's got a lot of down underneath and on top of its head , no white slash round the neck yet although it has all its grey feathers and is almost the size of a full grown but not as fat! It attempted a few times to fly in the car but it fell , I tried to keep it wrapped In my jumper , it is now in the garden wooden shed, inside a small cardboard box which I lay on its side and used a crate lid to block it from getting out , it's otherwise very calm it actually seems stunned maybe ? No obvious signs of injury . I have left I with some bird seed (' not even sure if it eats that yet) and some water , it's also got an old towel in there to hopefully fall asleep into. I really initially thought it was the safest thing to do was to take it back but not much I can do at this time of night . I don't know what to do in the morning either , I mean do I let it out to fly away ( if it can) , do I take it back to where I found it and leave it somewhere a bit safer ? I really have no clue . I have just read that it may be in the "fledging" stage and I may of just caused more harm than good , although as I said I was in he middle of the road . Can someone offer some advice please I am very worried and don't see any sleep for me tonight! Thanks in advance

Well, it sounds as if you had left it there in the road overnight it would be dead one way or another. Tomorrow if it appears that it is uninjured and able to fly, I would take it back to where you found it and release it. Good luck.

Hi, welcome to BYC.
Well, I don't have immediate answers for you but I wanted to respond and say that there's no need to lose sleep at this point. You have the baby in a safe place and there's not much more that you can do right now. So go ahead and get some sleep and hopefully when you get up, others will have posted advice here to help more.
If the pigeon is a fledgling, some recommend to leave them and watch from a distance to see if parents fly down to it. It sounds as though this wasn't possible in your situation. You did what you thought was best and safest for the baby bird. If you can post a picture tomorrow it may help to determine the age and the best way to care for it whether it's to see if it can fly away or to continue caring for it if it can't.
Good luck!

A Google search indicates that they feed on fruits, seeds, certain plants, and cruciferous vegetables if it becomes necessary to feed the squab.

Thank you very much Rita, I will post a picture tomorrow once I take one . I guess you're right sleep is all I can do at the moment just feeling incredibly guilty on reflection I should of maybe just moved it off the road and tucked it somewhere although as I said I know those houses have cats . Anyway I will see where to take it from tomorrow and will phone the local rescue centre for advice also. Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

Back
Top Bottom