help needed. chicken hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tailsnfeathers, Mar 3, 2009.

1. tailsnfeathers

tailsnfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Newberry,Fl
    hawk taking one a day. How can I make him go away?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Think you need to put the hens up for a few days till the hawk gets bored and looks else where for food. Is your run covered? Might be the next step. Good luck!

3. tailsnfeathers

tailsnfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Newberry,Fl
    I just have a chain link fence around it. Stuck all the birds in the coop. They dont like to be in all day.

4. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone on here wrote that stringing a net of string across the yard is enough to deter air-born predation. I have not had to try it myself as my run is covered with wire and plywood.

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Just had a hawk get one of my hens last week. I had been letting them free roam. NOT ANYMORE!!!!!! I have their coop and an enclosed chain link dog run attached with a roof. Keeping them in for a while to be safe. Sometimes its hard to be a Mom, but, we need to do whats best for the kids. Hang a head of lettuce from the ceiling to occupy their time. Sorry about your losses.

6. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:I bet they'd like being eaten less. [​IMG]

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have been very fortunate but I'm sure my time will come though. I have an owl with a revolving head sitting on a tall post and I don't have a problem. My neighbor (1 mile down the road) loses her chickens to hawks alot. When I do see them flying around or in a tree close by, I go running out acting like a loony bin [​IMG] and they leave. The only disadvantage with the owl, I have no song birds around. They don't like Mr. Owl either.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awkk! One a day needed to end at Day 1. The hawk will finish off the whole bunch.

Lockdown.

Then hawk-proof.

JJ

9. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a Pyrennes/shepherd mix that chases any raptors or other large birds that fly over our 5 acre property. I don't have my chickens yet, but I'm thinking he will be good with them, if we let him know that they are his herd to protect. Maybe you could teach your dog, also (if you have one) - I started just by encouraging him to chase the pigeons out of the barn, and he eagerly took it from there. I used to have a German shepherd in Indiana (lots of redtail hawks) who was out with the free range chickens, and I never lost one to a hawk. (Nor to the dog)

10. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Hawks taste like squirrel only a little tougher and they dont come back just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by