help needed. chicken hawk

Think you need to put the hens up for a few days till the hawk gets bored and looks else where for food. Is your run covered? Might be the next step. Good luck!

Someone on here wrote that stringing a net of string across the yard is enough to deter air-born predation. I have not had to try it myself as my run is covered with wire and plywood.

Just had a hawk get one of my hens last week. I had been letting them free roam. NOT ANYMORE!!!!!! I have their coop and an enclosed chain link dog run attached with a roof. Keeping them in for a while to be safe. Sometimes its hard to be a Mom, but, we need to do whats best for the kids. Hang a head of lettuce from the ceiling to occupy their time. Sorry about your losses.

Quote:
I bet they'd like being eaten less.
tongue.png

I have been very fortunate but I'm sure my time will come though. I have an owl with a revolving head sitting on a tall post and I don't have a problem. My neighbor (1 mile down the road) loses her chickens to hawks alot. When I do see them flying around or in a tree close by, I go running out acting like a loony bin
celebrate.gif
and they leave. The only disadvantage with the owl, I have no song birds around. They don't like Mr. Owl either.

We have a Pyrennes/shepherd mix that chases any raptors or other large birds that fly over our 5 acre property. I don't have my chickens yet, but I'm thinking he will be good with them, if we let him know that they are his herd to protect. Maybe you could teach your dog, also (if you have one) - I started just by encouraging him to chase the pigeons out of the barn, and he eagerly took it from there. I used to have a German shepherd in Indiana (lots of redtail hawks) who was out with the free range chickens, and I never lost one to a hawk. (Nor to the dog)

Back
Top Bottom