help needed. chicken hawk

Quote:
This is amusing:
http://news.lp.findlaw.com/ap/other/features/1120/02-10-2009/20090210082002_47.html

Does anybody know what the penalty is for killing a hawk now days?

cant say i blame him but you can kill one if you are portecting YOUR flock. I wonder what they did with it i mean it is already dead why wast it
lau.gif

The rope/fishing string works well. I had hawks taking my chickens too until I put fishing string across the top of my pen. I crisscrossed it and hung white plastic streamers from them. I have not had anymore chickens taken. Another deterrent is crows. If you have crows hanging around don't chase them off (as I did earlier in my chicken years) I did not like them eating my chicken feed until I learned they will stop hawks from eating your chickens. And for anyone wondering about killing the hawks--it is against the law to shoot hawks even if they are killing your livestock. It is so easy to stop them from taking your chickens why kill them?

Here is one where the guy put out bait for coyotes and it killed two hawks...he was fined $2500.00. I know that they are protected by federal law, but I am unsure how far reaching that protection is if they are killing chickens. I am thinking that you are right and they cannot even be distroyed for killing livestock like some other animals can.

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/news/2004/r04-031.html

I had a neighbor once who believed that if a dog came on his property and killed some of his chickens he could shoot the dog....well he did and, unfortunately for him, the dogs owner sued for the destruction of his property at a value of over $500.00. They ended up settling on the advice of his lawyer, but it was a fellony for destroying that dog. He could hold the dog owner accountable for the value of the chickens killed, but could not shoot the dog.

On the dog thingy we have a local ordance that reads if a dog is killing chickens he can be killed in the act. If a dog kills 3 or more chickens he is a confermend chicken killer and is to be shot on sight. It is a very old law. As for the hawlk there are many many types some are protected some are not. There are a lot of things that are concered in fileing charges in a lot of cases that never make the news.

Back
Top Bottom