Help needed for mystery neurological situation...

Pics
I'm so sorry you've been dealing with whatever source of the reactions you had! Did the doxy work? I'm working from home, but technically work in the Alameda Watershed near Sunol, and we were told recently that there have been a lot of tics. Fortunately I've never seen on in my garden so that's probably unlikely...
Sorry about your goose, but glad to hear he's improving. I just wish I knew what it was. I might have some Tylan, so maybe I'll try that... but I have not noticed any swelling...
The Doxy did seem to work, I’m sorry too that you haven’t beeen able to figure out what’s wrong with your feather baby for so long, I’m in that boat too, at this point I wish UC Davis wasn’t as expensive as it is now, maybe if their prices were what they used to be mystery sicknesses like our birds have wouldn’t be mysteries. At the rate they charge winning the lotto is the only thing that would make them an option.
Tell you what if I win I’ll pay for your bird and mine to be seen! 🤣😊

The Doxy did seem to work, I’m sorry too that you haven’t beeen able to figure out what’s wrong with your feather baby for so long, I’m in that boat too, at this point I wish UC Davis wasn’t as expensive as it is now, maybe if their prices were what they used to be mystery sicknesses like our birds have wouldn’t be mysteries. At the rate they charge winning the lotto is the only thing that would make them an option.
Tell you what if I win I’ll pay for your bird and mine to be seen! 🤣😊
Hey, we have lotto and the vaccine lotto! I'll reciprocate as well!

RIP Blondie. Here she is in better days, when she could still walk, and then yesterday afternoon dozing in a favorite spot.
IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_6179.jpeg

She passed early this morning about 3:30am... after being sick for almost two weeks https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...fever-since-4-23-a-week-ago-saturday.1524707/

Last night I woke up and she had a really high fever again. I gave her some water and took her outside where there was a cool breeze, just like what had helped her the night before. But after about a minute she started having a very violent seizure that lasted too long, and then she passed. I've had chickens die in my arms before, but the spasm has been pretty short, and then they are gone. I suspect she was having a seizure due to the fever... If I'd known she would pass like that, I definitely would have gone to the vet yesterday or the day before... I didn't want to see her go like that. She was a very loved and well-cared for little chicken.
The vet said she wouldn't make it past her first winter... and she just turned 3.
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 12.24.57 PM.png

Last edited:
RIP Blondie. Here she is in better days, when she could still walk, and then yesterday afternoon dozing in a favorite spot.
IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_6179.jpeg

She passed early this morning about 3:30am... after being sick for almost two weeks https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...fever-since-4-23-a-week-ago-saturday.1524707/

Last night I woke up and she had a really high fever again. I gave her some water and took her outside where there was a cool breeze, just like what had helped her the night before. But after about a minute she started having a very violent seizure that lasted too long, and then she passed. I've had chickens die in my arms before, but the spasm has been pretty short, and then they are gone. I suspect she was having a seizure due to the fever... If I'd known she would pass like that, I definitely would have gone to the vet yesterday or the day before... I didn't want to see her go like that. She was a very loved and well-cared for little chicken.
The vet said she wouldn't make it past her first winter... and she just turned 3.
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 12.24.57 PM.png
I’m so sorry she’s gone, you did so much for her and she knew she was loved and well cared for, you gave her a good life to remember.

Hi all, I just received the preliminary results of Blondie's necropsy.
See below for the full report, but essentially:
1. Heart: Severe diffuse cardiomyopathy 2. Kidneys: Severe bilateral renomegaly

What's especially interesting is that an enlarged kidney was causing sciatica! That's why she couldn't walk for almost 2 years!

Whether caused by Marek's or something else, I never considered what the actual underlying physical cause might be... but the enlarged kidneys pressing on her sciatic nerve makes sense.

What's frustrating about the report, is that it doesn't give any clue as to what would have caused her fever... I read something that a fever can cause cardiomyopathy, so I wonder if that happened recently, because she always had a very red comb.

In addition, on a second page I also asked why she stopped laying about 1.5 years ago, and he didn't address that... oh well.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

It will be interesting to see if she's had Marek's for the last 2.5 years.. it sort of sounds like it...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.24.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.24.59 PM.png
    166 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi all, I just received the preliminary results of Blondie's necropsy.
See below for the full report, but essentially:
1. Heart: Severe diffuse cardiomyopathy 2. Kidneys: Severe bilateral renomegaly

What's especially interesting is that an enlarged kidney was causing sciatica! That's why she couldn't walk for almost 2 years!

Whether caused by Marek's or something else, I never considered what the actual underlying physical cause might be... but the enlarged kidneys pressing on her sciatic nerve makes sense.

What's frustrating about the report, is that it doesn't give any clue as to what would have caused her fever... I read something that a fever can cause cardiomyopathy, so I wonder if that happened recently, because she always had a very red comb.

In addition, on a second page I also asked why she stopped laying about 1.5 years ago, and he didn't address that... oh well.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

It will be interesting to see if she's had Marek's for the last 2.5 years.. it sort of sounds like it...

I’ve heard kidney issues can cause a fever, I’m not completely sure though.

Kidney problems could have a connection to hormonal issues. When one thing’s wrong it can have a cascading effect across multiple organs.m

Back
Top Bottom