Help needed from northerners on staying warm

hey ruth - if your insurance co is being excessively perverse (as it sounds like they are -- asking about steel construction?!) it probably means you have the wrong insurance company. Not all of them are equipped to (or care to!) deal with slightly less usual properties.

I think it would really help you to look around and see who you can find that'd be more familiar with your type of situation. Call a variety of insurance brokers; also I highly recommend trying to hook up with other people restoring big southern plantation houses / mansions (I am CERTAIN there must be online groups for that!!) and find out where their coverage comes from.

If we hadn't done this (19 acres, considered 'hobby farm') we would be paying about twice as much with much poorer coverage.

Good luck,,

Pat

Quote:
lol.png
I guess so! feels that way!

Quote:
That's the case here. The policy is for exact replacement. So if it means going to Europe for 100 year old ornate carved crown molding and 100 year old wood and doors and windows - that is what they will have to do. That's why they may come back and tell us it has to be insured for millions or not at all.

And our insurance broker, who like everyone else in town, grew up in this house, put it out for bid and said this company (Chubbs) is the only one who would touch it - remember - no fire hydrant anywhere near. Of course if they come back and turn us down or raise the rates any more than they have we will have to explore other options.

Last edited:
Hey,

I read through all the great posts and have one suggestion that I didnt see. Bubble wrap. Comes in different thickness, and sizes. Used in some northern greenhouses. Cut to fit each window. You will not see through, but you will be insulated.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great house.

Quote:
Can't lower ceilings - there are several floor to ceiling windows in each room topped by a foot and half of ornately carved crown molding (different design in each room) and there's a huge crystal chandelier hanging from each ceiling so no ceiling fans either.

Another problem - previous owner took out all the heavy, puddling drapes that were over each window - "just didn't like them". On a side note, she also took down all the ornate plaster scroll work that went up the walls in between windows for same reason. I have to custom order drapes in 15' lengths so that too will be a long-term project because they cost several hundred dollars per window. Heavy drapes will definitely help keep out cold air but every window is bare.

I know we really need to get all sagging and gapping windows and panes fixed. Right now they are stuffed with paper towels and/or covered with tape but that task will have to wait till it's warmer outside.

Quote:
I did and I do. Of course, it also much warmer here today (Thank God).

It's funny, I actually bought a pair of thermal longjohns to wear as p.j.s but I'm wearing them around the house with nothing else on and telling my husband "all these years I've heard how these are supposed to keep you warm and I'm freezing". Hadn't occurred to me they were just the first layer and not meant to be worn alone.

O.K., O.K., you can all laugh
smile.png
big_smile.png
but when you've never experienced cold you have no idea. Just like the day I wore a T-shirt and jeans but kept my light, unlined windbreaker on all day in house and complained "I've kept my "coat" on all day and I'm still cold" - or I went to store and bought sweat suit and thought just because I put that on, with no layers underneath, or real coat on top, I would be warm enough to work outside in 20 degree temps.

Tsk...My house is 300 years old, and there's even a clause written into the deed that I have to maintain historical accuracy as much as possible on the exterior (even landmarks and National Registry homes don't care about anything other than the exterior). I've got a swimming pool, not a pond, I suppose that is different. MetLife insured it for exact replacement for about $1300/year; my house is considerably smaller than yours, though (only 2500 sq. ft.). I've got oak paneling in my house that's so wide, if you wanted to find an exact replacement you'd have to go to a national park with old-growth forest.

Try MetLife. They insured my house well enough that Norm Abrams would re-build it using hand tools if it ever was damaged.

Back
Top Bottom