Help Needed: Hen or Cockerel???

Ritakprkns

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
Our chickens are 18 and 19 weeks old. The Isabel Orpingtons are 18 weeks old and are twice the size of the 19 week pullets.
I am sure we have either 1 or 2 Isabel Orpington cockerels. No one has crowed yet but 2 have identical markings.
Your thoughts on them will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 96CDD965-6A26-4568-AAA3-3BD15EB0EB90.jpeg
    96CDD965-6A26-4568-AAA3-3BD15EB0EB90.jpeg
    934.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 95620A03-97DF-4D18-BF12-ADB9120E40C5.jpeg
    95620A03-97DF-4D18-BF12-ADB9120E40C5.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 34041F3A-0965-4412-90A2-AF1EECAF5277.jpeg
    34041F3A-0965-4412-90A2-AF1EECAF5277.jpeg
    893.9 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for your input!

Can you give me some points that helped determine their genders?
I’ve read a lot and seen videos but still unsure.
I believe they are cockerels don’t know how to explain that to the breeder. We have a hen guarantee where they will take the cockerel back. We are not wanting any roosters. Only have 7 total chickens

Well it is usually a combination of things. If you see one characteristic that indicates a cockerel, like a larger comb, but nothing else, a guess can't be made with certainty. If add something like large wattles and a large comb - then you are getting closer.

And then aside from a crow, when you begin to see male specific feathering (saddle, hackle and sickle feathers) that is when, in my book, the deal is sealed. Pullets can have large combs and even large wattles, but they almost never will have male specific feathers.

And then there is just coming onto BYC everyday and looking at a ton of chickens. I feel like some of us can look at a chicken and just kind of know in one big glance.

But in this case, your birds are well developed, and they have beautiful, long skinny hackle feathers. So along with the comb and wattles, this tells me they are certainly cockerels.

The size and deep red color of the wattles and comb were a hint, but what mostly gave it away was the longer, thinner, pointier hackle and saddle feathers and the small sickle-like feathers near the base of the tail. Other signs also include the red leakage on the shoulders and the irregular pattern of the feathers.

The size and deep red color of the wattles and comb were a hint, but what mostly gave it away was the longer, thinner, pointier hackle and saddle feathers and the small sickle-like feathers near the base of the tail. Other signs also include the red leakage on the shoulders and the irregular pattern of the feathers.
Jinx!

Back
Top Bottom