Help needed! Hen wont stop making terror trills!

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
We just got this tiny hen and about 2 days ago she started making a high pitched trilling sound. Sometimes it will be a soft sound and other times it's really loud. She started doing it just a few times and now she's doing it more often than not. What could be her problem? She just won't stop! It's beginning to get very annoying and scary. She acts like a normal chicken. Could it be because she's quite new to my flock?

Our mixed flock of California Greys, welsummer, EE'S and BO make trilling noises, sounds like air being let out of a ballon, purring noises, squeaks besides the clucking, back bawk, and egg song noise. They are very vocal all 18 of them! We talk to them and when they hear a laugh they mimic it back, besides saying "what" when begging for weeds pulled from garden or leaves removed from garden plants.

If you are concerned give her a good beak to tail exam to see if there is anything wrong with her. Check under feathers throughly, bottoms of feet, nails to see if need trimming. She just may be a very vocal bird.

Ok thanks! watched her and almost every time she does this she pushes up against another chicken who , in turn, pecks her to get her to go away. She tries to go underneath the other chicken. I'll go check her out when it quits raining. She scratches more than the other chickens. Do you think she could have mites that are bothering her>

It is possible she could have skin parasites check her over very well. If she has them they will all need to be treated. I have a problem with a bug like sand fleas that was driving them insane when we had the 100+ heat last month. I dusted the chickens with Sevin and the liquid sorry I can't remember the name of it purchased at farm & feed store. I sprayed the run, roosts, coop while I had the chickens in another pen moved them back after it dried then did the other run pen. It solved that problem and they settled down quickly.

A hen trying to snuggle up under another? Have one like that too. Hulkette even does it while trying to roost. She sticks her head under another's belly or between it's legs. She is trying to feel secure. The others get tired of it and will even sit roost on her head if she won't move. She is a 5 more BO but one of the year old EE'S will do it too. Funny seeing a head sticking out of fluffy feathers on the roost bar.

The silly things that they do that are odd but seem to be part of chickens natural behavior. Well at least for my nutty chickens.

It is possible she could have skin parasites check her over very well. If she has them they will all need to be treated. I have a problem with a bug like sand fleas that was driving them insane when we had the 100+ heat last month. I dusted the chickens with Sevin and the liquid sorry I can't remember the name of it purchased at farm & feed store. I sprayed the run, roosts, coop while I had the chickens in another pen moved them back after it dried then did the other run pen. It solved that problem and they settled down quickly.

A hen trying to snuggle up under another? Have one like that too. Hulkette even does it while trying to roost. She sticks her head under another's belly or between it's legs. She is trying to feel secure. The others get tired of it and will even sit roost on her head if she won't move. She is a 5 more BO but one of the year old EE'S will do it too. Funny seeing a head sticking out of fluffy feathers on the roost bar.

The silly things that they do that are odd but seem to be part of chickens natural behavior. Well at least for my nutty chickens.

Haha. That's exactly what Ellie does! It's pretty cute but annoying for the others. I went and checked for bugs of any kind and came up with nothing. I guess she's all right. I haven't herd the trills yet this morning so maybe she's done (finger crossed).

We have one RIR that does that. We call her Cry Baby. She never shuts up. She has been this way from a chick. Always giving her option about everything. The food, the weather, the water. etc... Sometimes I want to tape her beak shut. Don't do that! It will die. Anyway, I guess every flock has that one annoying chicken just like every family has a black sheep. lol

Haha that would've been a good name for mine. She quit after after a few days. I think she was scared of the bigger chickens. She got killed though :( me and my brother are looking for a chicken just like her. We're hatching some eggs so we might order some mottled Cochin's from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom