Help needed intergrading my flock

Morrison1020

Chirping
May 11, 2020
Thompson CT
👋 hello, I need some advice I have 2 older ladies left from my original flock and have decided to get more chickens. Hoover’s hatchery requires 15 chicks to be purchased so I ordered them. Mixed breeds if that matters. My question is how would I intergrade 15 new chicks with 2 older girls? Seems unfair for my older girls any suggestions? Thank you

👋 hello, I need some advice I have 2 older ladies left from my original flock and have decided to get more chickens. Hoover’s hatchery requires 15 chicks to be purchased so I ordered them. Mixed breeds if that matters. My question is how would I intergrade 15 new chicks with 2 older girls? Seems unfair for my older girls any suggestions? Thank you

The older girls will be top of the pecking order above the chicks from day zero.

Your chicks will need heat at night, so i'd move their brooder in with the older hens (during the day at least) so they're all familiar with eachother for those first 4-6 weeks and until the chicks are ready to have the heat removed.

As long as the chicks know the hens are top of the pecking order early on, there won't be a struggle with them.

It took a while to integrate some of my chickens. The adult hen was the hardest to get used to my old Barred Rock hen, but the younger ones were easier. Alice (my Barred Rock) was good about not pecking too hard but just enough to let them know she was boss.

I am lucky in that I have smaller sections penned off in my main coop, so the Littles lived in the big part while Alice lived in the smaller part. They were right next t each other, so they could get used to one another. Had Alice in her spot for a couple weeks or so before I started letting her out to mingle - only while I was out there to supervise. Eventuall, I was able to leave her out full time. Now they all live together.

I just got four new Littles a few weeks ago and will have to go through the process again soon. Hopefully it’s just as easy. It’s always best to let the chickens get used to one another graduall. Good luck!

It took a while to integrate some of my chickens. The adult hen was the hardest to get used to my old Barred Rock hen, but the younger ones were easier. Alice (my Barred Rock) was good about not pecking too hard but just enough to let them know she was boss.

I am lucky in that I have smaller sections penned off in my main coop, so the Littles lived in the big part while Alice lived in the smaller part. They were right next t each other, so they could get used to one another. Had Alice in her spot for a couple weeks or so before I started letting her out to mingle - only while I was out there to supervise. Eventuall, I was able to leave her out full time. Now they all live together.

I just got four new Littles a few weeks ago and will have to go through the process again soon. Hopefully it’s just as easy. It’s always best to let the chickens get used to one another graduall. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom