HELP NEEDED - Macaw & Parrot Nesting Boxes...

And regarding nest boxes... Ive been able to build a few good ones... but then I went to go pick up some parrots from a breeder who was selling everything really cheap, he threw in 8 nest boxes that are state of the art! Ill try and post pictures tonight, The egg entry door has a wire door behind it to keep the bird from flying out, its a second security door, very nicely made, and the entry hole has a lip that sticks out about 2 inches... the inside is wood, but the out side is metal. Im very impressed.

I tryed to ask the breeder where he got the boxes, and all he said was that he bought all the birds and boxes from an other breeder who was selling out.

anyone ever hear about the boxes im describing?

not to be mean but dose you dad know what he's getting into those breeds tack up to 2 years to finish hand-feeding and when hormonal can just about rip your finger off, dose he know how to crop feed? dose he know that he will never mack a profit off of them if he stays small scale... what will happen to his pair when he gets older a dies? what happens when you cant find a GOOD home for the baby's? dose he know they needs to abundance ween? and wood boxes are the best...be prepared to buy/make many as most will chew through them quickly!

Quote:
I know that some people have to pull the babies... I purchased a pair of SI Eclectus from a lady who could not care for them anymore and did not have time to raise the babies. She told me that the female will start to kill her babies after a week, and that the babies need to be pulled before them to make sure they live. Nature is not 100%, that is why we have to help them. Im ready to pull the babies when they come... all others will stay with the parents till 3 weeks, but that is always subject to change, it all depends on the parent birds. My Evil SI Eclectus has been going into the nest box, I hope to check soon to see if theres an egg... that way I can count the incubation days and then the babies from hatch date so I know when to Pull them.

Im currently building some nest boxes... but hope to find where those nifty ones came from.

Quote:
Hi, thank you for your consern. Regarding my dad, he does not need to know what he's getting into. My family and I have always been very fortunate, and I study animal husbandy at school and on my free time. I have raised baby parrots before, and know that macaws take longer to raise. My family and I are not getting into the birds for money, we are doing it because its my Passion, and my father can enjoy the birds as I care for and breed our stock. We always look for way to improve the birds diet, care, and health. I know of many breeders who only see dollar $$$, and have no care or respect for the birds. We would love for our birds to breed, but if they dont, that is fine too.

We are not conforming to what others think. As I stated before, we dont need the money, and animal husbandy is not our life blood. We have our other investments that produce our income, and our income provides for all our hobbies and other endevors. As far as finding the babies a good home, thats not a problem, We have purchased several cages and we have lots of land. We dont need the money, were in it for the passion.

I am caretaker of the livestock estate, so thats not a problem.

Again, thank you for your time, but your message did come across a little too forward. Please remember, what works for one, may not work for others, Please keep all comments as advice, not as criticism.

I belive the last post i had was regarding those nest boxes I found to be amazing...

Last edited:
you go texas, so you won't make a profit, who cares if thats what you love, i don't make a profit, but then i didn't start raising birds for the money, i started because i love the birds and love to see what i get in babies, since i also raise english keets, i never know what color the babies will be, it helps calm me to watch them interact with each other, and fly around, all the different colors, that why i have a chair in the bird room, so i can sit and enjoy them.
thumbsup.gif

as i said i wasn't trying to be mean but allot of people start breeding and know nothing then the birds suffer...but you sound like you are caring and know what your doing so i wish you well on your quest

Quote:
There are currently 2 baby macaws that Im looking to get... they are 10 weeks old, wonderful yellow color, but they had crop burn about 1 week ago and are currently stitched up. The price is not to bad, but I would love to get them and care for them so they can grow up. Im sure with a little TLC, they will be just find... Were currently working out a price... the guy wants so much, but considering they are some what wounded, I want him to come down on the price a bit. Im gonna be spending more time with them.

Sometimes, a bird needs a second chance... Im sure they will be just find with time.

Sorry, Never ment to get off topic...

Quote:
I understand your position, Each of my animals always gets the best care and attention.

on the babies with the burnt crop, be very careful, sometimes even with the crop stitched up, they can get an infection, they should also be on antibotics. the man who has them must have not been taking his time and checking temp.of the food, i've been raising birds for over thirty years, never once have i burnt a crop, and i've raised alot of birds, all the way from bourkes to amazons and greys, never wanted anything bigger than those, altho i have babysat blue and golds for a friend, need four hands to feed those lol they do love to pump
like i said, i love my birds, i usually raise them to two weeks, turn them over to a girlfriend to finish, if i wean out, they tend to stay at my house lol and i don't need anymore, i have one yellowcrown amazon that i weaned out, was going to sell her when weaned, well shes now two years old and still here lol, shes a real good talker too, her momma and daddy are laying now too. yea, more babies!!!
life is about what you enjoy, not how much money you can make from it, so if what you want is birds, like i said, go for it. like all pets, they can give you lots of love back.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom