HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Hehe they are funny animals. They flew the second they realize things aren’t going their way. If you’re concerned about getting hurt grabbing them, get a large fishing dip net with a long handle. They’re fast so this helps a lot. It’s quite a workout chasing a large rooster around a run. Plus I don’t want to hurt a bird. The dip net solves the problem. Plus they’ll be too freaked out to attack you when you reach in to get him. But they have to know, if they attack you they’re getting picked up. Works great. Lamar hasn’t attacked me since. But he attacked a contractor the other day who just swatted him away gently.
When my rooster came at me there was nothing funny about it. I've told this story before. I had shorts on. I was over 65 at the time and walk with a cane. I'd gone out to feed the chickens. He'd never bothered me before, although my 12-yo grandson said he'd flown at him a few times. I'd taken over the feeding and hadn't had any problems. The rooster was about three years old. This particular day, the first I realized there was a problem was when I got raked down the back of my legs with his claws. I turned to see what got me and he came at me again, this time with wings, beak and spurs. He smacked me so hard just under the kneecap with his beak at full speed that I nearly went down. It felt like a grown man had hit me full force with the claw end of a hammer. Before I could recover, he was coming at me again, flying up at my face, spurs forward. I swung my cane at him and the battle was on. I am no wimp. I have taken karate. I knew I was in trouble. I was determined to knock his head off with my cane. I hit him multiple times, with every ounce of my strength - and I could not stop him. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to pick him up. This was a fight to the death, and frankly, I was losing! My husband heard me screaming and came to my rescue. He got hold of the bird and threw him in a dog crate, I believe. I hobbled into the house to tend my wounds, weeping. After sunset we took him to the chopping block. My rooster policy now is, Strike One, you're soup.

Last edited:
When my rooster came at me there was nothing funny about it. I've told this story before. I had shorts on. I was over 65 at the time and walk with a cane. I'd gone out to feed the chickens. He'd never bothered me before, although my 12-yo grandson said he'd flown at him a few times. I'd taken iver the feeding and hadn't had any problems. The rooster was about three years old. This particular day, the first I realized there was a problem was when I got raked down the back of my legs with his claws. I turned to see what got me and he came at me again, this time with wings, beak and spurs. He smacked me so hard just under the kneecap with his beak at full speed that I nearly went down. It felt like a grown man had hit me full force with the claw end of a hammer. Before I could recover, he was coming at me again, flying up at my face, sours forward. I swung my cane at him and the battle was on. I am no wimp. I have taken karate. I knew I was in trouble. I was determined to knock his head off with my cane. I hit him multiple times, with every ounce of my strength - and I could not stop him. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to pick him up. This was a fight to the death, and frankly, I was losing! My husband heard me screaming and came to my rescue. He got hold of the bird and threw him in a dog crate, I believe. I hobbled into the house to tend my wounds, weeping. After sunset we took him to the chopping block. My rooster policy now is, Strike One, you're soup.
Wow! Luckily your husband heard you and came right out !I hope you never go thru that again!

Wow! Luckily your husband heard you and came right out !I hope you never go thru that again!
Thank you, I won't. I wonder when people say their roosters attacked them, if they mean what I went through, or if they mean a mild little flogging. I could likely catch a rooster flapping threateningly at me, but this rooster was like something out of a Terminator movie.

I totally agree with BBH, and also have zero tolerance for human aggressive roosters. Our first, a little d'Uccle, fortunately never was able to do the kind of damage she had, but he too wouldn't give up during an attack. And he could get to my eyeball height, never mind legs. We put up with him too long, and learned. It's just not worth it!
Mary

I totally agree with BBH, and also have zero tolerance for human aggressive roosters. Our first, a little d'Uccle, fortunately never was able to do the kind of damage she had, but he too wouldn't give up during an attack. And he could get to my eyeball height, never mind legs. We put up with him too long, and learned. It's just not worth it!
Mary
Exactly. Mike was flying up as high as my face during all this. Terrifying.

When my rooster came at me there was nothing funny about it. I've told this story before. I had shorts on. I was over 65 at the time and walk with a cane. I'd gone out to feed the chickens. He'd never bothered me before, although my 12-yo grandson said he'd flown at him a few times. I'd taken over the feeding and hadn't had any problems. The rooster was about three years old. This particular day, the first I realized there was a problem was when I got raked down the back of my legs with his claws. I turned to see what got me and he came at me again, this time with wings, beak and spurs. He smacked me so hard just under the kneecap with his beak at full speed that I nearly went down. It felt like a grown man had hit me full force with the claw end of a hammer. Before I could recover, he was coming at me again, flying up at my face, spurs forward. I swung my cane at him and the battle was on. I am no wimp. I have taken karate. I knew I was in trouble. I was determined to knock his head off with my cane. I hit him multiple times, with every ounce of my strength - and I could not stop him. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to pick him up. This was a fight to the death, and frankly, I was losing! My husband heard me screaming and came to my rescue. He got hold of the bird and threw him in a dog crate, I believe. I hobbled into the house to tend my wounds, weeping. After sunset we took him to the chopping block. My rooster policy now is, Strike One, you're soup.
Sorry to hear that. I’d definitely put a rooster like that in a pie. Lamar has been good around me since I caught him the last time. Hopefully it’s just a passing hormone issue.

Darl went through a "spell" last spring. This summer he was pretty good. Today, he came after my feet, but I held him off with my rooster stick. I made an attempt to grab him (face plant coming up, buddy!), but he got away. He was eyeing me, but kept his distance after that.

I told DH that two days ago, Darl may have signed his death warrant. DH said, "I hope not." DH does not do any of the chicken care (I don't mind that at all), and Darl doesn't scare him a bit. The few times DH has been in the run, Darl has kept his distance.

I am thinking ahead to when we go on vacation. Someone has to take care of the chickens, and a couple of my neighbors have said they'd do it. (One has chickens -- all pullets -- but mostly her boys do chicken duty.) I told DH we could not have someone go into the run and get hurt, and he was sure we could come up with a way to put feed/water in from outside. Especially, we can not have any of the boys next door going into the run.

Or else they could do it before sunup and after sundown. But I don't think any of them are up and about that early.

I usually open up the coop half an hour or more before sunrise, just so as soon as the chickens want to be up they have food and water.

I've had a bad day, but I will do my utmost to remain patient.
I have to ask you why anyone would breed non agressive roosters if not for profit and making them easier to turn into pets?
Roosters are supposed to be aggressive. It's having some aggression that means they will compete with other roosters and be able to guard their hens and their offspring. What breeding non aggressive roosters, or at least trying to does, is reduces the chances of the natural instincts going forward.
I've managed to negotiate with I don't know how many aggressive roosters. They're not stupid creatures. Mostly they are just tryinng to protect their hens or offspring. Why would anyone want to prevent any creature from doing this?

Even large roosters are unlikely to do you any lasting damage when they attack if you wear appropriate clothing and consider carefully if what you do is likely to ellict an aggressive response.

Breeding any creature for attributes that are mmeant to please humans but in the long term damage the species is just wrong. I don't know how to put it in another way.
I give my dominant rooster space. He protects his girls and isn't aggressive until I get in his space. I want a protective rooster but if he ever sneak attacks then one of his sons will be the new dominant rooster.

Back
Top Bottom