HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Pics

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!

I have a silkie rooster that is VERY food aggressive. He pegged me good the other day! Truth be told, he'll be going to freezer camp soon of he doesn't straight his act up, I have too many sweet boys to put up with his nonsense.
20211109_140301.jpg
20211105_164830.jpg

I eat aggressive roosters. No second chances.

My boys kept a tally on the coop door. It made it to ten. My current rooster is named 11. When seven came along they started just naming them their corresponding tally number.

It's quite the system. Eleven has been with us into Roosterdom. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid..... he can stick around.

He's a RIR. Not holding my breath.

This cockerel isn't going to reform, he is who he wants to be. Human aggression is genetic, and then somewhat influenced by management.
I too used to try to change this behavior, and nothing really works, not for long, and not for every different person involved. Don't wait to be really injured, hate going out there, or worse, having a visitor or child hurt.
There are many polite roosters, and he won't ever fit that description.
And @Hannahnic14 , do you realize how close that puncture wound is to your jugular vein?!!
Mary

I've got a similar problematic bantam. My guy is a Sebright and weights about 1 lb. He is TINY. But he can fly.

At about the same age as your fella is, he started attacking me. I would hold him down. I would pick him up and carry him around with me while I did chores. I did everything I could to make him submit.

The only thing that really helped were 1) the broom, 2) a protective top hen, 3) isolation.

I call the broom my Picotee stick (named after my roo, who is now 2 years old). If he charged me, I would whack him polo style across the run/yard. He learned to fear it really quickly.

Zinnia, my top hen, will have nothing to do with him. She will literally fight with him now if he goes after me. I am, you see, Zinnia's favorite rooster.

One day, he went after me hard. I snatched him up by his leg and threw him in the empty duck coop, and I locked him in there for 3 days (with food and water, of course).

He has not attacked me since. When he does start to do the little dance or starts scratching in my direction, I take a very deliberate step in his direction (or step toward Zinnia), and he backs off. I know a lot of it has to do with age/hormones. He *may* calm down a bit as he gets older, but I wouldn't count on it.

I and a few others have had aggressive roosters breed and none of their male offspring showed any signs of human aggression.
✋
Fabio is well known for having flogged me more times than I can count.
NONE of his sons ever showed the slightest bit of aggression and all went on to be much loved flock leaders. One even took on a hawk that had attacked his hens.

And as for Fabio... he is still running his flock and doing a great job of it. He hasn't flogged me in well over 1 1/2 years and that is because of MY behavioral changes around HIS hens. And lots and lots of reinforcement with him that I won't back away from his attacks, won't hurt him and don't want his friggin' hens!!

find an alternnative to pointless killing,

A. Protecting people from an aggressive animal isn't "pointless".

B. Guilt-tripping people who aren't willing to have their chicken keeping turned into a time of anxiety and wariness instead of joy and peace is silly.

C. Keeping a known-aggressive animal that has drawn blood is a legal liability if it ever hurts someone else.

D. Polite, well-behaved roosters are killed every day because the owners either can't have roosters or have more than they need. Keeping an aggressive one instead of adopting a better one is truly pointless.

Hehe they are funny animals. They flew the second they realize things aren’t going their way. If you’re concerned about getting hurt grabbing them, get a large fishing dip net with a long handle. They’re fast so this helps a lot. It’s quite a workout chasing a large rooster around a run. Plus I don’t want to hurt a bird. The dip net solves the problem. Plus they’ll be too freaked out to attack you when you reach in to get him. But they have to know, if they attack you they’re getting picked up. Works great. Lamar hasn’t attacked me since. But he attacked a contractor the other day who just swatted him away gently.
When my rooster came at me there was nothing funny about it. I've told this story before. I had shorts on. I was over 65 at the time and walk with a cane. I'd gone out to feed the chickens. He'd never bothered me before, although my 12-yo grandson said he'd flown at him a few times. I'd taken over the feeding and hadn't had any problems. The rooster was about three years old. This particular day, the first I realized there was a problem was when I got raked down the back of my legs with his claws. I turned to see what got me and he came at me again, this time with wings, beak and spurs. He smacked me so hard just under the kneecap with his beak at full speed that I nearly went down. It felt like a grown man had hit me full force with the claw end of a hammer. Before I could recover, he was coming at me again, flying up at my face, spurs forward. I swung my cane at him and the battle was on. I am no wimp. I have taken karate. I knew I was in trouble. I was determined to knock his head off with my cane. I hit him multiple times, with every ounce of my strength - and I could not stop him. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to pick him up. This was a fight to the death, and frankly, I was losing! My husband heard me screaming and came to my rescue. He got hold of the bird and threw him in a dog crate, I believe. I hobbled into the house to tend my wounds, weeping. After sunset we took him to the chopping block. My rooster policy now is, Strike One, you're soup.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom