HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Pics

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!

The Dude has hormones running rampant .. you can try take a walking stick with you broom handle will work .. Hold him to the ground so he can't move for few minutes.
Get this now or get rid of him JMHO
I held him...then he acted fine til he did it again...twice.
Then I held him down again til he stopped moving and he turned right around and repeatedly flogged me.
I didn't know silkies could ever be violent. Guess they r still wild animals.

Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!
he is hitting puberty lol. just keep showing dominant behavior, and carry a trash can lid or tennis racket with you to keep them away not hit them with lol just in case. they usually calm down. my white silky rooster chad went little man syndrome from around 8 to 12 months, and then calmed down and now is my buddy. just be firm, but dont give up on him. especially if he is not hurting the hens.

I have a silkie rooster that is VERY food aggressive. He pegged me good the other day! Truth be told, he'll be going to freezer camp soon of he doesn't straight his act up, I have too many sweet boys to put up with his nonsense.
20211109_140301.jpg
20211105_164830.jpg

Raging teenage hormones.

Roosters need to be managed from early on because 'cute' baby antics can equate to bad rooster behavior.

I have a few little roosters in the brooder right now and it's my first time getting to raise them past 6 weeks old, so I've been very picky to discipline early on.

Ideally, you want to grab them by the legs and hold them upside down till they stop struggling and submit. Then lower them gently onto the ground and let them go on their way. He should steer clear after that - rinse and repeat as much as necessary. - wear some leather garden gloves if you have to though I find my hens get more aggressive around gloves.

My little roo used to chest butt me in the brooder till I did this once and he's learned his lesson and never tried again. If he does, he'll get the same treatment.

If he continues to be aggressive after doing that a few times, it may be time to freezer camp him and get a more docile roo in. Silkie is a delicacy in China and as many on here say, there are too many good roosters out there to keep a bad one.

Unless you really need him for his genetics, that is.

Back
Top Bottom