HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Upside down? I never heard or seen that before on here...I've just heard n seen the holding em down by neck till they submit.
Yeah, I didn't hear about it on here, it was from a farm rescue operation that releases husbandry videos.

They don't get injured and it's obvious when they've submitted as they stop fighting and relax.

As mentioned, I've done it with my little roo once and it hasn't affected his relationship with me at all aside from no more challenging me. He still hops in my lap and up onto my shoulder for cuddles on a daily basis.

It seemed less violent than boots and brooms to me and so far, has gotten results.

This cockerel isn't going to reform, he is who he wants to be. Human aggression is genetic, and then somewhat influenced by management.
I too used to try to change this behavior, and nothing really works, not for long, and not for every different person involved. Don't wait to be really injured, hate going out there, or worse, having a visitor or child hurt.
There are many polite roosters, and he won't ever fit that description.
And @Hannahnic14 , do you realize how close that puncture wound is to your jugular vein?!!
Mary

This cockerel isn't going to reform, he is who he wants to be. Human aggression is genetic, and then somewhat influenced by management.
I too used to try to change this behavior, and nothing really works, not for long, and not for every different person involved. Don't wait to be really injured, hate going out there, or worse, having a visitor or child hurt.
There are many polite roosters, and he won't ever fit that description.
And @Hannahnic14 , do you realize how close that puncture wound is to your jugular vein?!!
Mary
Unfortunately yes😩....he's going to freezer camp here in a few weeks. I tried to hand feed him today and he about took my finger off!

I've got a similar problematic bantam. My guy is a Sebright and weights about 1 lb. He is TINY. But he can fly.

At about the same age as your fella is, he started attacking me. I would hold him down. I would pick him up and carry him around with me while I did chores. I did everything I could to make him submit.

The only thing that really helped were 1) the broom, 2) a protective top hen, 3) isolation.

I call the broom my Picotee stick (named after my roo, who is now 2 years old). If he charged me, I would whack him polo style across the run/yard. He learned to fear it really quickly.

Zinnia, my top hen, will have nothing to do with him. She will literally fight with him now if he goes after me. I am, you see, Zinnia's favorite rooster.

One day, he went after me hard. I snatched him up by his leg and threw him in the empty duck coop, and I locked him in there for 3 days (with food and water, of course).

He has not attacked me since. When he does start to do the little dance or starts scratching in my direction, I take a very deliberate step in his direction (or step toward Zinnia), and he backs off. I know a lot of it has to do with age/hormones. He *may* calm down a bit as he gets older, but I wouldn't count on it.

I eat aggressive roosters. No second chances.

My boys kept a tally on the coop door. It made it to ten. My current rooster is named 11. When seven came along they started just naming them their corresponding tally number.

It's quite the system. Eleven has been with us into Roosterdom. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid..... he can stick around.

He's a RIR. Not holding my breath.

I am hoping none of my little guys turn nasty. They're lucky I want them all for their genetics, but they'll be kept as a rooster flock so not sure if that will curb their enthusiasm. Won't let them in with the girls. Only one-on-one sessions for breeding, then back to the roo-flock they'll go.
I haven't had luck with breeding chickens like rabbits. New roosters always take a day or 3 to start covering the flock.

I haven't had luck with breeding chickens like rabbits. New roosters always take a day or 3 to start covering the flock.
It'll probably only be one on one or two on one for a weekend then check, rinse and repeat. Two of my roos are golden campine and their breeder says she has fertility issues, (hen feathered boys) which is why I'm keeping both.

Apparently, getting one with fresh genetics is also an issue because they are rare and NZ, so no new blood coming in from overseas. Will see how we do. There's another breeder on the south island, but haven't had much luck with eggs coming from that far in the post.

Back
Top Bottom