HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Nice!

Chasing hard to get breeds is dedication. Definitely hope it goes smoothly for you.
I really love them so far, though my 4 are only 4 weeks old. They are quite clever, very obvious roos and pullets from around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, and super friendly. Looking forward to seeing them fully feathered out - they're almost there.

I think I have a thing for rare breeds and the communities around them are really fantastic here. They welcome newcomers with open arms.

I really love them so far, though my 4 are only 4 weeks old. They are quite clever, very obvious roos and pullets from around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, and super friendly. Looking forward to seeing them fully feathered out - they're almost there.

I think I have a thing for rare breeds and the communities around them are really fantastic here. They welcome newcomers with open arms.
Please don't take this wrong!

Rare breeders and the associated community are welcoming to one another because:
1) Misery loves company
2) You guys are equally crazy about your endeavors

I have the utmost respect. I have RIR and Bar Rocks because they're simple like myself. The logistics of breeding to parameters, and with a hard to acquire gene pool are well beyond me.

Please don't take this wrong!

Rare breeders and the associated community are welcoming to one another because:
1) Misery loves company
2) You guys are equally crazy about your endeavors

I have the utmost respect. I have RIR and Bar Rocks because they're simple like myself. The logistics of breeding to parameters, and with a hard to acquire gene pool are well beyond me.
I think they just like adding alternative gene pools to the community for their own flock and the breed's future.

I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to provide some reputable studies or research on how human aggressive genes in male chickens are passed down a blood line.
I and a few others have had aggressive roosters breed and none of their male offspring showed any signs of human aggression.
There are some actions on the part of the human keeper that are liable to produce an aggressive reaction in cockerels and roosters.
I've dealt briefly with some of them in this article.
Just for the record. I have done my utmost to research for studies that indicate that a human aggressive male chicken will produce human aggressive male offspring. I have yet to find a single study and as far as I can tell, this myth is yet one more that is perpetuated on forums with absolutely no evidence to confirm it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

I and a few others have had aggressive roosters breed and none of their male offspring showed any signs of human aggression.
✋
Fabio is well known for having flogged me more times than I can count.
NONE of his sons ever showed the slightest bit of aggression and all went on to be much loved flock leaders. One even took on a hawk that had attacked his hens.

And as for Fabio... he is still running his flock and doing a great job of it. He hasn't flogged me in well over 1 1/2 years and that is because of MY behavioral changes around HIS hens. And lots and lots of reinforcement with him that I won't back away from his attacks, won't hurt him and don't want his friggin' hens!!

My take on this is that nobody has funded such studies, as far as I can see. And management does matter, so true. However, some breeds and bloodlines have a higher % of such 'bad actors' than others. Also fighting cock breeders have selected for temperament that drives those cocks to be super aggressive towards each other, and mild mannered with humans.
Of course there's a range of behaviors, but still, there's no reason to think that a tendency to be human aggressive is less heritable than any other temperament.
And what may be tolerated in one situation is not so good for most 'backyard' flocks.
Mary

Last edited:
There would seem to be a bit of a verification problem here. Given that those in this thread who believe, or even suspect that human aggression in male chickens is an inherited trait and given that many who believe this kill a rooster apprently that shows signs of human aggression, the chances for the "it is inherited" camp of proving their point seems pretty remote given in that dead roosters can't produce offspring to test the theory out.

On the other hand, on this thread, DobieLover and I have both had human aggressive roosters who, with some patience, work and an understanding of what may trigger such aggression, have not only reduced their aggressive behaviour to a manageable level but have also produced some real sweethearts as offspring.

Back
Top Bottom