HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

I looked after free range chickens with multiple roosters who were human aggressive when I was ten. You learn to avoid them, much like you learn how to deal with any other potentially aggressive species.

Why would I want to keep a dangerous animal that I had to avoid?

I have no issue coping with and avoiding the black widows and the copperheads in my environment, but I shouldn't have to avoid MY OWN LIVESTOCK.

I am willing to eat my way through as many roosters as necessary until I get one who doesn't see me or my family as a threat to his flock and isn't stupid enough to attack the giant who brings food and water.

...alternnative to pointless killing...

I don't have a problem with killing any creature that I'm going to eat, but killing because I'm scared of a creature, or because I can't control a creature, makes me feel rather stupid and inadequate.

When I kill a chicken, I eat the chicken.
So I do not see it as pointless killing.

Many of the other people who talk about killing problem roosters are also people who eat the chickens they kill. And for all of us who are going to eat chicken, it is just common sense to start by eating the chickens whose temperament we like least.

My own preference is to hatch dozens or hundreds of chicks every year, and eat most of them. That many chicks will almost always include a few males that do not attack me when they grow up, so "selecting" for nice roosters is just a matter of which ones get killed, not a change in the number that do get killed & eaten.

He's a typical young roo with a girlfriend and raging hormones.What you don't understand is his aggression comes from what he sees is a threat to the flocks survival.His favorite hen just went broody and he doesn't want you near her or her eggs.His job is to protect and if he wasn't trained by being around an older rooster he's an idiot.Its not his fault.Eventually he may make a good roo but the young ones need older hens and roosters to teach them how to act.For some reason I suspect he didn't have either to teach him anything.People new to chickens don't have an existing flock to add their chicks to once they feather out.
Whatever his reasons, they don't justify his actions.

Wow! Luckily your husband heard you and came right out !I hope you never go thru that again!
Thank you, I won't. I wonder when people say their roosters attacked them, if they mean what I went through, or if they mean a mild little flogging. I could likely catch a rooster flapping threateningly at me, but this rooster was like something out of a Terminator movie.

Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!
he is hitting puberty lol. just keep showing dominant behavior, and carry a trash can lid or tennis racket with you to keep them away not hit them with lol just in case. they usually calm down. my white silky rooster chad went little man syndrome from around 8 to 12 months, and then calmed down and now is my buddy. just be firm, but dont give up on him. especially if he is not hurting the hens.

I've raised many roos of different breeds over the years, and I cull human-aggressive birds. At first, I tried different behavioral modification methods...but the results were only temporary. Roosters are capable of inflicting serious physical injury (not to mention the psychological trauma 😬).

It's incredibly disappointing to have a sweet cockerel become a sneak-attack jerk, but it does happen - and it seems like it manifests by the time a rooster is a year old. I encourage you to consider your safety (and your family's, if applicable) when determining whether it makes sense to try to manage this rooster. Best of luck!

I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to provide some reputable studies or research on how human aggressive genes in male chickens are passed down a blood line.
I and a few others have had aggressive roosters breed and none of their male offspring showed any signs of human aggression.
There are some actions on the part of the human keeper that are liable to produce an aggressive reaction in cockerels and roosters.
I've dealt briefly with some of them in this article.
Just for the record. I have done my utmost to research for studies that indicate that a human aggressive male chicken will produce human aggressive male offspring. I have yet to find a single study and as far as I can tell, this myth is yet one more that is perpetuated on forums with absolutely no evidence to confirm it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
This is an interesting question. No, there are not any reputable studies on roosters, though there are several on hens and stress effecting egg laying. Years ago I had numerous flocks with aggressive roosters which produced more aggressive roosters. I had a flock of silkies with a friendly rooster and the majority of his male offspring were pretty mellow. My flock of OE Rosecomb bantams were legendary in the hollow for being kid safe. They were tiny and tame. The man I bought my breeding stock from did not breed aggressive roosters. He ate them. So, over the years, his bantams and silkies were easy to handle, though they were not standard of perfection by any means. On the other hand, game bird breeders breed for aggression. Though this breed is hardy and capable of surviving challenging conditions that most chicken breeds could not tolerate, they are aggressive. Despite being hardy, game breeds do require a lot of management that newbie chicken owners may find overwhelming. Teenage birds will kill each other if kept in close quarters. And remember, keeping chickens as backyard pets is relatively new. Some breeds are suitable for backyard situations and some are a bit too flighty to be kept in the backyard coop- they prefer the wide open spaces and would do well in foraging situations. And don't forget the hen when breeding chickens. You want a good natured hen that gets along with the others, lays well, and stays healthy in her older years. I don't breed aggressive roosters, I don't breed the ones that are rough on the hens. And for the last three generations I've had some laid back roosters and I've had some aggressive roosters. And I do hope with continued selective breeding I will have more easy going roosters to select from.

Back
Top Bottom