HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Have you ever watched roosters interact with each other? They fight! At least till one learns his place. Honestly all this holding down and timeout stuff is typically a waste. Send him flying backyards a couple times and he'll get the idea.
Exactly! that was the only thing that would keep my speckled sussex roo from trying to kill me, and this is a 12 pound bird!

he is hitting puberty lol. just keep showing dominant behavior, and carry a trash can lid or tennis racket with you to keep them away not hit them with lol just in case. they usually calm down. my white silky rooster chad went little man syndrome from around 8 to 12 months, and then calmed down and now is my buddy. just be firm, but dont give up on him. especially if he is not hurting the hens.
He's not ever hurt anyone except me now!
I guess my stupidity of treating them as pets has caught me way off guard with this. He's always been so docile and happy to see me, carried around as we checked garden and everything together.

Raging teenage hormones.

Roosters need to be managed from early on because 'cute' baby antics can equate to bad rooster behavior.

I have a few little roosters in the brooder right now and it's my first time getting to raise them past 6 weeks old, so I've been very picky to discipline early on.

Ideally, you want to grab them by the legs and hold them upside down till they stop struggling and submit. Then lower them gently onto the ground and let them go on their way. He should steer clear after that - rinse and repeat as much as necessary. - wear some leather garden gloves if you have to though I find my hens get more aggressive around gloves.

My little roo used to chest butt me in the brooder till I did this once and he's learned his lesson and never tried again. If he does, he'll get the same treatment.

If he continues to be aggressive after doing that a few times, it may be time to freezer camp him and get a more docile roo in. Silkie is a delicacy in China and as many on here say, there are too many good roosters out there to keep a bad one.

Unless you really need him for his genetics, that is.
Upside down? I never heard or seen that before on here...I've just heard n seen the holding em down by neck till they submit.

He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
I held him...then he acted fine til he did it again...twice.
Then I held him down again til he stopped moving and he turned right around and repeatedly flogged me.
Especially for me...numerous health problems

I think you should consider making him into chicken soup (kill him & butcher him to eat.)

I have seen a few stories of cockerels or roosters that reformed, and many stories of ones that did not.

If you want to try keeping him, maybe you can use something like a wire dog kennel or a laundry basket or a trash can: walk into the pen, drop it over the rooster at the first opportunity, leave the rooster in that "cage" while you do whatever you need to do, then release the rooster when you're ready to leave. That might be a way to protect both you and him from injury (and if he starts running away from whatever you use as a cage, then at least he's away from you too and not attacking at that instant.)

I've raised many roos of different breeds over the years, and I cull human-aggressive birds. At first, I tried different behavioral modification methods...but the results were only temporary. Roosters are capable of inflicting serious physical injury (not to mention the psychological trauma 😬).

It's incredibly disappointing to have a sweet cockerel become a sneak-attack jerk, but it does happen - and it seems like it manifests by the time a rooster is a year old. I encourage you to consider your safety (and your family's, if applicable) when determining whether it makes sense to try to manage this rooster. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom