HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Pics
View attachment 2898113

With longer spurs to work with, that wound could have been deadly!

I have grandchildren. I will be willing to go through many, many cockerels to get one who will behave.

Aggressive roosters go for the eyes and can easily blind or maim a child.

Solve for peace of mind and safety -- eat him or sell him with full disclosure of his aggression.

Since Silkie bantams are sold straight run there are bound to be some good-tempered Silkie boys around looking for good homes.
I haven't had any interest in him yet...I hate the uncertainty when going to check on em now...no more peace n quiet which is enjoyed so much til friday.

Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!
Hopefully it will pass. Grab with your hands or a dip net. You can carry him around by his feet for a few minutes in front of his hens too. We’ve got a black Orpington acting like this now. He’s gone after the rest of the family after I gave him the V treatment. They smacked him and now he’s back on me. I now am somewhat aggressive towards him when I enter the coop and run since he’s come at me three times. I noticed our large Embden gander Tony does this with him now. Tony is a very calm gentle bird but huge. I’m sure Lamar (our rooster) has been pestering him too trying to assert dominance. Tony still has a ways to grow but he’s about 25lbs now and Lamar is 3 or 4lbs. Tony doesn’t hurt him just shoos him away from wherever he’s at. Sometimes seeking him out and intimidating Lamar. Tony is sending him a message gently but firmly and Lamar always scurries out of his way. So I’m copying Tony. Roosters at this age appear to be hormone fueled sex pests.

Attachments

• C321A2AC-5D0A-4B58-A43C-EC1E8B83E22C.jpeg
    C321A2AC-5D0A-4B58-A43C-EC1E8B83E22C.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 4
  • B30EB55E-FD6D-44C7-966B-1CB162D94821.jpeg
    B30EB55E-FD6D-44C7-966B-1CB162D94821.jpeg
    662.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A0EDF711-873A-4FBC-ACBD-3A68FDA3FA32.jpeg
    A0EDF711-873A-4FBC-ACBD-3A68FDA3FA32.jpeg
    719.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
he is hitting puberty lol. just keep showing dominant behavior, and carry a trash can lid or tennis racket with you to keep them away not hit them with lol just in case. they usually calm down. my white silky rooster chad went little man syndrome from around 8 to 12 months, and then calmed down and now is my buddy. just be firm, but dont give up on him. especially if he is not hurting the hens.
Little man syndrome !:lau

I am not a person who would use a foot or a broom. I have never offered a foot or a broom, they think that is something to attack and will do so if you offer it. I do not let them sneak up on me, I also try and pick up my roosters if they get near. My current rooster will not let me hold him, unless I take him off the roost, but he knows if he gets near me I will pick him up. Some roosters liked being held. I adopted a rooster that was attacking a grandmother and grandson. When he came to my house he tried it once. I picked him up. Then he only came to be picked up never attacked again. You do have to not show fear as you pick them up though.
Exactly you are the King there can be no doubt. Confusion and uncertainty causes one’s own demise. The roosters are very funny creatures. I like your strategy. I’m stealing it…
;-)

It is interesting you say you picked up a rooster that was attacking you. A rooster attacked me once and there was no way I could have "picked him up" while this was going on. It was all I could do to protect myself, much less try and get hold of him.
Hehe they are funny animals. They flew the second they realize things aren’t going their way. If you’re concerned about getting hurt grabbing them, get a large fishing dip net with a long handle. They’re fast so this helps a lot. It’s quite a workout chasing a large rooster around a run. Plus I don’t want to hurt a bird. The dip net solves the problem. Plus they’ll be too freaked out to attack you when you reach in to get him. But they have to know, if they attack you they’re getting picked up. Works great. Lamar hasn’t attacked me since. But he attacked a contractor the other day who just swatted him away gently.

I've had a bad day, but I will do my utmost to remain patient.
I have to ask you why anyone would breed non agressive roosters if not for profit and making them easier to turn into pets?
Roosters are supposed to be aggressive. It's having some aggression that means they will compete with other roosters and be able to guard their hens and their offspring. What breeding non aggressive roosters, or at least trying to does, is reduces the chances of the natural instincts going forward.
I've managed to negotiate with I don't know how many aggressive roosters. They're not stupid creatures. Mostly they are just tryinng to protect their hens or offspring. Why would anyone want to prevent any creature from doing this?

Even large roosters are unlikely to do you any lasting damage when they attack if you wear appropriate clothing and consider carefully if what you do is likely to ellict an aggressive response.

Breeding any creature for attributes that are mmeant to please humans but in the long term damage the species is just wrong. I don't know how to put it in another way.
I give my dominant rooster space. He protects his girls and isn't aggressive until I get in his space. I want a protective rooster but if he ever sneak attacks then one of his sons will be the new dominant rooster.

We were roosterless for a while. I ordered a BJG cockerel with my next batch of chicks as his replacement, which consisted of some EE pullets, BA pullets and BA cockerels. The BA cockerels went to the freezer and the BJG became the new flockmaster. He did a lovely job till the coyote got him.
Everyone has their own way of raising chickens. Keeping an older rooster around might help keep those boys in line when they're growing up but its hard to tell. Something usually kills the good ones protecting the flock.

Yes, I understand, I have read the story of your attack more than once, and it was horrifying and frightening. What I was doing was agreeing with you about the person you had quoted, who said they 'pick up a rooster who is attacking' - if you read back you should see that person also said in the same post they 'do not offer a boot or a cane' to a rooster.

Well I don't know anyone who can snag a truly ferociously attacking bird flying at their head like a bullet out of the air. When it happened to me, it was of all things, a trio of silkie roosters who had just been dropped at my barn with no notice. I walked in and I was lucky to fend the little savages off, it was an all-out war for a good long 60-90 seconds with me trying to keep my feet and keep kicking them back and bouncing them off a chickenwire door till they finally backed off to reconsider. I didn't have time to think, only repel and kick and keep my balance (after having had a stroke the year before) - it was that or I was going to have damage to my face and eyes.
Maybe someone who can pick up 'attacking' roosters isn't familiar with an actual *attack*? The same poster also mentioned 'offering a cane or boot' to an attacking bird - which to me drew a mental picture of sticking out a shiny pretty toe like presenting the bird a gift to admire, rather than the physical punt repelling a truly vicious rooster needs to be. Both the idea of gently 'offering' a boot, and picking up a bird who is leaping, flying, clawing and beaking at my face every second sounded absurd to me, and unreal. I am with YOU.
Cockerels under 1 yr old over a flock are troublesome. 1 1/2 - 2 yrs is much better.

Back
Top Bottom