HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Pics
1636900863757.png

With longer spurs to work with, that wound could have been deadly!

I just cant have this uncertainty and enjoy the chickens with grand children too...
Prayin someone with more experience and understanding steps up soon.

I have grandchildren. I will be willing to go through many, many cockerels to get one who will behave.

Aggressive roosters go for the eyes and can easily blind or maim a child.

Solve for peace of mind and safety -- eat him or sell him with full disclosure of his aggression.

Since Silkie bantams are sold straight run there are bound to be some good-tempered Silkie boys around looking for good homes.

View attachment 2898113

With longer spurs to work with, that wound could have been deadly!

I have grandchildren. I will be willing to go through many, many cockerels to get one who will behave.

Aggressive roosters go for the eyes and can easily blind or maim a child.

Solve for peace of mind and safety -- eat him or sell him with full disclosure of his aggression.

Since Silkie bantams are sold straight run there are bound to be some good-tempered Silkie boys around looking for good homes.
I haven't had any interest in him yet...I hate the uncertainty when going to check on em now...no more peace n quiet which is enjoyed so much til friday.

I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to provide some reputable studies or research on how human aggressive genes in male chickens are passed down a blood line.
I and a few others have had aggressive roosters breed and none of their male offspring showed any signs of human aggression.
There are some actions on the part of the human keeper that are liable to produce an aggressive reaction in cockerels and roosters.
I've dealt briefly with some of them in this article.
Just for the record. I have done my utmost to research for studies that indicate that a human aggressive male chicken will produce human aggressive male offspring. I have yet to find a single study and as far as I can tell, this myth is yet one more that is perpetuated on forums with absolutely no evidence to confirm it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
This is an interesting question. No, there are not any reputable studies on roosters, though there are several on hens and stress effecting egg laying. Years ago I had numerous flocks with aggressive roosters which produced more aggressive roosters. I had a flock of silkies with a friendly rooster and the majority of his male offspring were pretty mellow. My flock of OE Rosecomb bantams were legendary in the hollow for being kid safe. They were tiny and tame. The man I bought my breeding stock from did not breed aggressive roosters. He ate them. So, over the years, his bantams and silkies were easy to handle, though they were not standard of perfection by any means. On the other hand, game bird breeders breed for aggression. Though this breed is hardy and capable of surviving challenging conditions that most chicken breeds could not tolerate, they are aggressive. Despite being hardy, game breeds do require a lot of management that newbie chicken owners may find overwhelming. Teenage birds will kill each other if kept in close quarters. And remember, keeping chickens as backyard pets is relatively new. Some breeds are suitable for backyard situations and some are a bit too flighty to be kept in the backyard coop- they prefer the wide open spaces and would do well in foraging situations. And don't forget the hen when breeding chickens. You want a good natured hen that gets along with the others, lays well, and stays healthy in her older years. I don't breed aggressive roosters, I don't breed the ones that are rough on the hens. And for the last three generations I've had some laid back roosters and I've had some aggressive roosters. And I do hope with continued selective breeding I will have more easy going roosters to select from.

This is an interesting question. No, there are not any reputable studies on roosters, though there are several on hens and stress effecting egg laying. Years ago I had numerous flocks with aggressive roosters which produced more aggressive roosters. I had a flock of silkies with a friendly rooster and the majority of his male offspring were pretty mellow. My flock of OE Rosecomb bantams were legendary in the hollow for being kid safe. They were tiny and tame. The man I bought my breeding stock from did not breed aggressive roosters. He ate them. So, over the years, his bantams and silkies were easy to handle, though they were not standard of perfection by any means. On the other hand, game bird breeders breed for aggression. Though this breed is hardy and capable of surviving challenging conditions that most chicken breeds could not tolerate, they are aggressive. Despite being hardy, game breeds do require a lot of management that newbie chicken owners may find overwhelming. Teenage birds will kill each other if kept in close quarters. And remember, keeping chickens as backyard pets is relatively new. Some breeds are suitable for backyard situations and some are a bit too flighty to be kept in the backyard coop- they prefer the wide open spaces and would do well in foraging situations. And don't forget the hen when breeding chickens. You want a good natured hen that gets along with the others, lays well, and stays healthy in her older years. I don't breed aggressive roosters, I don't breed the ones that are rough on the hens. And for the last three generations I've had some laid back roosters and I've had some aggressive roosters. And I do hope with continued selective breeding I will have more easy going roosters to select from.
I've had a bad day, but I will do my utmost to remain patient.
I have to ask you why anyone would breed non agressive roosters if not for profit and making them easier to turn into pets?
Roosters are supposed to be aggressive. It's having some aggression that means they will compete with other roosters and be able to guard their hens and their offspring. What breeding non aggressive roosters, or at least trying to does, is reduces the chances of the natural instincts going forward.
I've managed to negotiate with I don't know how many aggressive roosters. They're not stupid creatures. Mostly they are just tryinng to protect their hens or offspring. Why would anyone want to prevent any creature from doing this?

Even large roosters are unlikely to do you any lasting damage when they attack if you wear appropriate clothing and consider carefully if what you do is likely to ellict an aggressive response.

Breeding any creature for attributes that are mmeant to please humans but in the long term damage the species is just wrong. I don't know how to put it in another way.

I have to ask you why anyone would breed non agressive roosters if not for profit and making them easier to turn into pets?
Roosters are supposed to be aggressive.
You think roosters are supposed to be aggressive?

I think roosters are supposed to mate with hens so the eggs are fertile and can produce chicks.

That is the ONLY thing a rooster is really needed for.

For protection, someone can build a safe pen, can use a properly trained dog, or the person can stay with the chickens to protect them.

For the sound of crowing, someone could listen to a recording.

For a pet, someone can use a hen or a capon (or a dog or cat or any other domestic animal.)

But there is no other way to get eggs that will hatch.

So as long as a rooster is still able to mate and fertilize eggs, I don't care what other traits people want to breed for (exception: I don't like traits that are harmful to the animal itself, like being too heavy to walk or having such a big crest it cannot see properly.) But I do not think lack of aggression harms the rooster or his hens.

Even large roosters are unlikely to do you any lasting damage when they attack if you wear appropriate clothing and consider carefully if what you do is likely to ellict an aggressive response.
I agree that the rooster is unlkely to do major damage in those circumstances, although I am not willing to deal with a rooster that regularly tries to harm me either. I like to eat chicken, so I will always choose to eat chickens that cause trouble before I eat chickens that do not cause trouble for me.

Breeding any creature for attributes that are mmeant to please humans but in the long term damage the species is just wrong. I don't know how to put it in another way.
All breeding of domesticated animals is for the purpose of pleasing humans. And if you are measuring them against the wild species, the domestic ones will always seem damaged. I'm not sure how far you meant it to be taken, but that view could lead to not having domestic animals at all.

You think roosters are supposed to be aggressive?
I don't think so, I know so. They didn't develope spurs for aesthetic reasons.
I think roosters are supposed to mate with hens so the eggs are fertile and can produce chicks.
Yes, but to do this they need to be able to compete with other roosters.
That is the ONLY thing a rooster is really needed for.
Well that's my point. It may be the only thing you need a rooster for, especially if you keep them in a run, but I and many many others have, or have had, free range chiickens and a rooster needs to be able to defend his group from competeing males and while not often successful, predators.
I agree that the rooster is unlkely to do major damage in those circumstances, although I am not willing to deal with a rooster that regularly tries to harm me either.
Why not? Ime it doesn't take an awful lot of effort to come to a working arrangement with a rooster. My view, albeit unpopular is if you don't want to deal with rooster aggression then don't keep roosters.
All breeding of domesticated animals is for the purpose of pleasing humans. And if you are measuring them against the wild species, the domestic ones will always seem damaged. I'm not sure how far you meant it to be taken, but that view could lead to not having domestic animals at all.
I looked after free range chickens with multiple roosters who were human aggressive when I was ten. You learn to avoid them, much like you learn how to deal with any other potentially aggressive species.
The world iis a dangerous place and while chickens may be domesticated ime most are not tame. You have to work at making them trust you. It applies to hens as well as roosters.

I looked after free range chickens with multiple roosters who were human aggressive when I was ten. You learn to avoid them, much like you learn how to deal with any other potentially aggressive species.

Why would I want to keep a dangerous animal that I had to avoid?

I have no issue coping with and avoiding the black widows and the copperheads in my environment, but I shouldn't have to avoid MY OWN LIVESTOCK.

I am willing to eat my way through as many roosters as necessary until I get one who doesn't see me or my family as a threat to his flock and isn't stupid enough to attack the giant who brings food and water.

Back
Top Bottom