HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Well that's my point. It may be the only thing you need a rooster for, especially if you keep them in a run, but I and many many others have, or have had, free range chiickens and a rooster needs to be able to defend his group from competeing males and while not often successful, predators.
So you and I like different kinds of roosters. That's fine-- you raise the kind you like, and I'll raise the kind I like.

My view, albeit unpopular is if you don't want to deal with rooster aggression then don't keep roosters.
Since roughly half of all chickens are male, and you think many people should not keep roosters, what do you think should happen to all of them?

He's not ever hurt anyone except me now!
I guess my stupidity of treating them as pets has caught me way off guard with this. He's always been so docile and happy to see me, carried around as we checked garden and everything together.
It's just a phase. It's the juvenile hormones. He will grow out of it.

...have been workin with him each day. I used my cane just as a boundary buy only had to actually keep him at bay once in a week!... he's been doing 99% better!!! ... I'm gonna give him another chance and just keep working with him and not let grandkids in the run unless he is penned up.
I'm glad things are going better :)
That sounds like a good plan!

I don't think so, I know so. They didn't develope spurs for aesthetic reasons.

Yes, but to do this they need to be able to compete with other roosters.

Well that's my point. It may be the only thing you need a rooster for, especially if you keep them in a run, but I and many many others have, or have had, free range chiickens and a rooster needs to be able to defend his group from competeing males and while not often successful, predators.

Why not? Ime it doesn't take an awful lot of effort to come to a working arrangement with a rooster. My view, albeit unpopular is if you don't want to deal with rooster aggression then don't keep roosters.

I looked after free range chickens with multiple roosters who were human aggressive when I was ten. You learn to avoid them, much like you learn how to deal with any other potentially aggressive species.
The world iis a dangerous place and while chickens may be domesticated ime most are not tame. You have to work at making them trust you. It applies to hens as well as roosters.
I see your point, Shad.

He's a typical young roo with a girlfriend and raging hormones.What you don't understand is his aggression comes from what he sees is a threat to the flocks survival.His favorite hen just went broody and he doesn't want you near her or her eggs.His job is to protect and if he wasn't trained by being around an older rooster he's an idiot.Its not his fault.Eventually he may make a good roo but the young ones need older hens and roosters to teach them how to act.For some reason I suspect he didn't have either to teach him anything.People new to chickens don't have an existing flock to add their chicks to once they feather out.

Agreed! My best roosters have been raised by other roosters and bossy hens.
Lamar our black Orpington was raised with his mixed flock and babied. I just think he’s just got raging hormones at the moment. Nobody picked in him. But he’s tried to rape our drake Bob as well as humping his duck girls. Then he alienated our large Embden gander Tony. Tony’s a sweet boy and very gentle with his flock, children and adults. However recently whenever Lamar gets near Tony, Tony shops Lamar away and follows him a bit and may gently nip at him. My guess is that Lamar probably attacked Tony multiple times. Both are exactly the same age but Lamar weighs 3-4lbs and Tony weighs 25lbs and is still growing.

Back
Top Bottom