HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!
You might have to john wick him.

This thread has been full of interesting and informative point of views and I have truly appreciated every single one. I've got too many roosters right now and the temperaments vary. Some human aggressive, some that love the reassurance and affection from humans, and some that are right in the middle. My youngest two are 15 months old. While I can't add to the breeding aspect of human aggression being genetic, I can say that out of the roosters that I got in my first year of keeping chickens, half of them are human aggressive. The roosters that I added after that first year have all been amazing. For complete transparency, one of my youngest (15 months) is one that I keep an eye on. He feeds off of my mood and if I'm nervous, anxious, anything except for neutral, he tends to act up. He hasn't flogged but I suspect if I didn't know what to look for, he'd probably be labeled as aggressive. Knowing this about him, I can warn my daughter to stay back from him if I sense any uneasiness from her before we go out. He tends to feed off of my energy more but knowing how sensitive he is, I can easily adjust and keep things controllable, for now. If I could only figure out how to keep things like this with my aggressive little bantam hen, that'd be great, but time will tell 💕

Thanks again for these amazing insights! Such a wonderful start to the day.

Edited to add: @ericwaddle3 I loved the hilarious wording if your post. While I don't necessarily agree, that really made me laugh. Thank you so much for that 😁
I'm looking for the elusive young rooster someone raised in an established flock by a broody hen, an Alpha rooster and a couple older hens on a farm or in someones backyard. These roosters have been humbled and gotten their butt whipped numerous times by the Alpha rooster and hens.They're ready for a flock and know how to act. Young cockerels raised only with pullets the same age are the same roosters that become juvenile delinquents with raging hormones that will boldly come after us after we've babied and fed them from chicks.They're are the roosters that give all roosters a bad name.They aren't one and the same.

I would agree with this. However instinctive it may be, it is unacceptable.

I had an awful month where I basically lost two birds back to back. Then, Stacey got flystrike. She had an infection, but I was not able to get any antibiotics which led to continued diarrhea and then led to the flies coming back. I had to check her daily and such. And then out came Puffle with an infected eye! Chickens can be a handful sometimes.

Glad things have settled down. Everyone is fine now, hope it stays that way.
The older I get the easier it gets to resist getting more chickens .When it's below zero I can pat myself on the back for not having 20 or 30 Lol.

He's a typical young roo with a girlfriend and raging hormones.What you don't understand is his aggression comes from what he sees is a threat to the flocks survival.His favorite hen just went broody and he doesn't want you near her or her eggs.His job is to protect and if he wasn't trained by being around an older rooster he's an idiot.Its not his fault.Eventually he may make a good roo but the young ones need older hens and roosters to teach them how to act.For some reason I suspect he didn't have either to teach him anything.People new to chickens don't have an existing flock to add their chicks to once they feather out.
He's actually doin MUCH better now that I have taken the time to understand roosters and work with him.

Ya have to begin with a flock somehow.

He's actually doin MUCH better now that I have taken the time to understand roosters and work with him.

Ya have to begin with a flock somehow.
My advice is try and find a rooster raised with an Alpha rooster in an established flock in case this guy doesn't work out. Roosters 1 1/2 yrs on up are calmer, confident and respect the hierarchy and pecking order .They won't challenge you as much either. Good luck!

I am not a person who would use a foot or a broom. I have never offered a foot or a broom, they think that is something to attack and will do so if you offer it. I do not let them sneak up on me, I also try and pick up my roosters if they get near. My current rooster will not let me hold him, unless I take him off the roost, but he knows if he gets near me I will pick him up. Some roosters liked being held. I adopted a rooster that was attacking a grandmother and grandson. When he came to my house he tried it once. I picked him up. Then he only came to be picked up never attacked again. You do have to not show fear as you pick them up though.

You might have to john wick him.
He’s like that guy that killed John Wick’s dog…

That said, Lamar has been VERY well behaved after his triple set attack on me the other day. I think it scared the hell out of him trying to catch him. He was definitely making loud distress calls as I chased him around and he was flying 9 feet in the air. After he started screaming all the other birds went nuts as they were all in the coop and I had shut them in there so as not to stress the other birds. Even our ducks and goose started up when he did that. However our large gander Tony clearly blamed Lamar and not me. Because afterwards he yelled at Lamar and chased him around for awhile. 😂.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom