1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help needed on dyi cabinet incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sara80, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus w/crappy Inet Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    all your thermo/hygros are calibrated I pray?

also see how the fan has to hit the lights? should hit just below on the round part of the bulbs to send the heat front...

this is one of my reg coolers

[​IMG] [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-easy-cooler-incubator

again I am usually on that thread I posted, and so are a bunch of other great people to help!

2. sara80

sara80 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Nh
    I now have two bulbs in there on a splitter..I'm using a zilla temp controler and the fan is a big one that is right behind the bulbs..my thermometers are not calibrated

3. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. sara80

Dec 29, 2015
    Nh
    I have two of the ones you posted about in the last post..how do you calibrate those? I also have two indoor outdoor..three reptile ones with probes..one that came with a Dickies incubator...a fake egg thermometer and a spot check. Half of these I can't put in water. I have no clue how to calibrate those or if you even can

5. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    160watts reached 95 degrees. How big are the air vents?

As for calibration, What really matters is at 99.5 degrees how far off are the temperatures reading. If one is a degree low mark it as a degree low so you take that into account when reading the temperatures.

You defiantly have not failed at this project. Most of us who have built these incubators have had to fine tune the design before use. Sometimes that means tape and cardboard to see what works and what doesn't (later replaced with proper materials). My record so far is a 8 degree hot spot in the bottom of a incubator on a first test (they say heat rises....lol) so don't feel bad im sure yours couldn't be that bad.

If you could post your original picture with the temps added ( Microsoft paint ) then we may be able to give better advice once we see where the hot and cold spots are.

6. sara80

Dec 29, 2015
    Nh
    I don't have Microsoft paint..but the hot spots are at the top and colder the the bottom..my vents are 3/4" closed off almost all the way. Only two of my thermometers are the same when checked against my spot check and a medical thermo. I went to the store after work and picked up two repot heat bulbs. I just put them in so I'll check it in a while. It boggles the mind as to what I could be doing wrong here. I do appreciate the help and fingers crossed I can get this thing rolling! This is what I'm using as a thermostat.ive used it on another bator so I know it works [​IMG]

7. gpop1

May 2, 2015
    sounds like the fan is not circulating the air. You said in the original post that the incubator has a 4" false back. I presume that you have a air intake at the bottom and a fan at the top. If you take tissue paper how does it move in the air flow. Does it look like air is being drawn into the intake.

You may need a small mixer fan (pc fan running slow) to push the air down.

8. sara80

Dec 29, 2015
    Nh
    I just did what you said with the tissue..I put one little strip under each level and one right in front of the bottom intake..all of them are wiggling from the air movement. The bottom one is being sucked in..my fan may be just to big! I think I'm stuck with it tho [​IMG] the fan is 8" from metal to metal so??? It's an in line duct fan

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    what if you put a small tin baffle in front of the lightbulbs? to push the air out the sides from the lights and then down into the bator. I dont think its the fan, the cabinet bators have bigger fans than the duct fans I believe, you dont know the ratin on the fan and google compair with a cabinet bator fan? that will tell you for sure

10. gpop1

May 2, 2015
    let it run a few hours and see what the difference is once its reached temp an stabilized.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by