Help needed on how to mount roof? First coop build.

Okay! So a friend and I mounted the roof and affixed it with small 2x4 bracing. I realized another mistake I made - I measured the horizontal length and not the angle length when cutting my pieces, so I'm about a foot short on the roof. Luckily I'm adding a nest box on that end, so I will just construct a secondary roof piece that will cover both the end of this and the nest box. Photos of progress. I will add fascia to the side to prevent drafts (that's what is leaning on the building) and hardware cloth everywhere that's open. A bit more work to do but the rain has started ...

also, why do some photos appear sideways? they aren't sideways on my computer.

Attachments

• tempImageTKtrS9.png
    tempImageTKtrS9.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
  • tempImagennvESs.png
    tempImagennvESs.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImage8N8XUf.png
    tempImage8N8XUf.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
That looks nice, thank you for the update.

I thought of aomething to add. I hate metal corrugated roof. It is like sharp razor blades on the edges, and your roof looks about at eye level. My first time building a coop I made the mistake of putting the roof too low, and the back of the coop was at eye level.

I cut my arms several times and my face too, despite being careful around it. I ripped that coop down the very first chance I had after building a second coop.

Corrugated roof at eye level is a huge massive mistake. Maybe there is a fix for it, but you never really get over a hesitancy when going near the coop. And you want to be able to enjoy the coop and walk near it especially to clean it or add roosts.

So have you designed your sharp edges to be inside the wood, or do you have a way to make it safe to walk around?

Yes I was thinking about this today as I realize the low edges of the roof are exactly at my face level. I don’t know what the solution is… I was joking about putting half a pool noodle on the back edge since I kept almost hitting it. But maybe something soft along the edges even electrical tape or a thing strip of duct tape to make it less sharp? For context my head is level with the lowest roof joist/corner. The rest is above me.
That looks nice, thank you for the update.

I thought of aomething to add. I hate metal corrugated roof. It is like sharp razor blades on the edges, and your roof looks about at eye level. My first time building a coop I made the mistake of putting the roof too low, and the back of the coop was at eye level.

I cut my arms several times and my face too, despite being careful around it. I ripped that coop down the very first chance I had after building a second coop.

Corrugated roof at eye level is a huge massive mistake. Maybe there is a fix for it, but you never really get over a hesitancy when going near the coop. And you want to be able to enjoy the coop and walk near it especially to clean it or add roosts.

So have you designed your sharp edges to be inside the wood, or do you have a way to make it safe to walk around?

Yes I was thinking about this today as I realize the low edges of the roof are exactly at my face level. I don’t know what the solution is… I was joking about putting half a pool noodle on the back edge since I kept almost hitting it. But maybe something soft along the edges even electrical tape or a thing strip of duct tape to make it less sharp? For context my head is level with the lowest roof joist/corner. The rest is above me.
Just knowing it is there at eye level is like sleeping with a sword dangling over your bed by a thread. It made going near that end of the coop impossible and i was scared to even walk by it.

Personally I would inlay the corrugated inside of the wood insulation and figure out how to weather seal the wood, rather than know the razors edge roof is there.

Unless the low edge is where you plan to install a rain channel, then the channel can hide it, but that depends on if you have a channel ready to install.

so there will be a slight extension on left side for nest box, which will have a little roof (but will be lower than face level) and I will have a drip edge on long side and some sort of evestrough or water catchment along the edge of the roof on the left. So hopefully that will be enough to round off edges at least where I’m not scraping them. But yes if I could do it again id make it above my head :)
Just knowing it is there at eye level is like sleeping with a sword dangling over your bed by a thread. It made going near that end of the coop impossible and i was scared to even walk by it.

Personally I would inlay the corrugated inside of the wood insulation and figure out how to weather seal the wood, rather than know the razors edge roof is there.

Unless the low edge is where you plan to install a rain channel, then the channel can hide it, but that depends on if you have a channel ready to install.

Back
Top Bottom