!!!Help Needed Please!!! - I would like to start something NEW :) TPP

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello folks!

Tommy here...back for something new for my hobby now that my summer-break is officially starting tomorrow : )
wee.gif

I would like to raise QUAILs now...alright got pheasants, longtails, jungle fowls, serama, etc.

Have looked online for about 2-3 hours now about quails and there are just so many. I want something pretty, easy to keep, and with a good call. I came around to Bobwhites and California Quails. I only see videos of the Gambel runnin around, not the sound.

Overall, are these three easy to keep and not too loud?

This video here of the Bobwhite sounds great but is that Northern...Arizona..? I dunno. The video does not state but I LIKE that sound!!!
thumbsup.gif

Any help or suggestion would be great.

I am looking for:

1. ) Ease of keeping (A pair for a 3 x 3 x 3 foot cage. Can withstand cold and heat well. Don't require food thats not common at feedstores. I noticed most quials need a higher protein % than chickens. From 20 - 30 %
he.gif

2.) Good Call (Bird like, not too often, and no louder than a Serama. Haha)

3.) Good Price (Up to $50 a trio or whatever on chicks???) Donate me a few is always an option. Hehe

Thanks Everyone!!!

- Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're starting out with quail then go with the Coturnix. I prefer the Jumbo Coturnix because they're nearly double the size. You get larger eggs from them and more meat/feathers per bird for food and crafts.

Jumbo Coturnix hatch out in 16-19 days and are ready to lay eggs or butcher in eight weeks. The males make nifty noises that aren't intrusive and the females are generally quiet. They can be feather sexed at a couple weeks old if you get the standard brown/species color (males have a red breast, females have a speckled breast).

These guys also are laying machines. For the first 8-14 months they'll lay around six eggs a week each. I'm setting up a website that breaks down how much meat/eggs you can expect from quail. With 30 breeders (20 females and 10 males) you'll get enough eggs to fill an incubator (120) every week. Which means with one incubator you can feasibly have 100 lbs of live quail and 200 eggs every three weeks once you get going.

I have 300+ eggs in my incubators right now and have expanded out to include a bunch of different colors: Tuxedos, A&M, Manchurians, Italians, Tibetan/Chocolates and Gingers. I have 30x30" cages I keep mine in and plan on branching out to build larger pens that are at least partially ground level so they can also eat bugs.

I'll rush to get the quail section of my page up and running tonight then edit this with a link to look over. If you have any questions the page doesn't answer let me know. I'm always willing to expand
smile.png

I'll second that... the bobwhites and buttons are pretty, and make neat sounds, but they are VERY skittish. The coturnix are so personable.
smile.png
The coturnix purr and chortle... they're not obnoxious at all. I love mine, and can't wait for the 100 in the incubator to hatch tomorrow!
And if you can find someone on the site to get eggs from, even better.
wink.png
(not me, yet... sorry.
sad.png
)

Last edited:
Great suggestion.

So...can I do a pair of Bobwhite and a pair of the Cot-to something? Haha

I am not into eggs or eatting...non of what I raise are for that purpose. I want something rare, fun, and cool to have : )

- Tommy

Oh, in that case give both a try. Eggs are extremely cheap and easier to find than the adults (although nowhere near impossible). There are different colored Coturnix, so see which ones you like the best and go for them.

Bobwhites come in a lot of rare colors in egg auctions. If you want something no one else has then check those out.

Otherwise, Valley and Mountain quail are nifty. I think they're seasonal layers and don't lay often, but as far as looks go they're definitely favorites of mine. If you don't care about production then they're an option.

Those Blue Scales are purdy!
big_smile.png
I like the fancy Coturnix , especially the blue, blue/red and chocolates... and the pieds
smile.png
I want to get some next year myself... maybe you will be in the egg selling market by then
wink.png
LOL

Hello...

Are the ones recommended noisy? I have read that they are very protective so its not possible to house different breeds together but the Bobwhite should be more mellow and less noisy...if they even are at all.

Ultimately, I want a breed with a good call that will be able to rear their young in a 3 x 3 x 3 cage. I just want to see the mothers taking care of their young and such...not for meat, eggs, sales, or anything like that. Even if I can only have a pair for that to happen, that will work too.

I read a lot of things online recently but nothing about them being able to rear their youngs in a cage of certain sizes...

- Tommy

PS: Linda,

I will let you know if I decide to get that breed.
Let me know if you want to get Bobwhites or know anybody that does. I want a Trio or a pair : )

Back
Top Bottom