help needed pretty plz

dembones

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Hello duck lovers I am the happy owner of 3 campbells from yesterday just wondering how to tame them. For example picking up one is ok for two minutes then they all go a little nuts plz help Thank you

Being picked up scares them, as you can see, but if you sit down near them and put treats near you, talk gently even sing to them, they will most likely warm up to you.

Some of my runners let me cuddle them as long as their feet are on the ground.

You must also remember that picking 1 up essentially splits the little group up; which will make them anxious, which will lead to upset ducklings making plenty of noise!

Focus on just spending time with them, and as Amiga points out this time should be filled with positive reinforcement.

Get them to the point where they want to follow you round and don't mind being stroked but don't expect too much- I have a bird that imprinted on me and spent all day on my shoulder or in my hands. These days she's all grown up and really doesn't enjoy being picked up.

I'm not saying that you are wasting your time trying to pick them up, they may grow to love it. I'm just saying that most birds don't like to be picked up regardless of upbringing and forcing the issue will usually only set you back

Thanks for the help and 1 other thing what treats can I give them at such a young age the 2 brown are there weeks I think the white one's a weekish older
And again thank you

We gave our ducklings lots of chopped up greens: kale, collards, dandelion, watercress etc. just be sure to chop it into small pieces for them, and remove any big hearty stems. You can just float the greens in their water dish or freeze them into ice cubes for extra fun.

You can also give them dried meal worms, cut/broken up a bit. These make good training treats and you can get lots of petting in while the birds are distracted, foraging a pile of worms on the floor. I found this a good way to start getting our girls used to being touched!

With our last batch (2 runners), we put an old comforter down on the floor (to catch the poop) and would lie down with them. They would climb all over us and play with our hair and snuggle up in our arms. As long as they made the decision for contact they were very happy with it, but they didn't like being picked up. Now they are in the flock.

We go outside sometimes and lay the "duck comforter" on the ground. If we lie on the comforter, 3/4 of the flock (total flock is 13) will come over on their own and nibble on our clothes / shoes / hair / fingers and lie down with us. (100% if we have treats
wink.png
). This includes all of the ducks, it just depends on the mood at the time. If I go sit in the back yard in a chair, I will be joined by 2-6 ducks at all times (again all of them if I have treats) and again all the ducks will paticipate in this, just depends on thier moods. None of them are willing to be picked up without being "caught". And once they are caught, some are happy to sit in our laps, some are submissive with their heads hanging, and some are fighting to get free - this depends on the duck for example, our Pekin, Snow is usually happy to sit in our laps, our Cayuga, Pocahontas is usually submissive and our Rouen Drake Kaine will fight the whole time.

Also it seems all of them are fine with having their bills/faces stroked while being hand fed (great for clearing down from their nares) and they don't mind having the front of their neck / crop / belly stroked. It varries by bird, but not so much on the back and wings like you would a dog/cat. This probably comes from them being low in the food chain. Things above them seem to make them more nervous.

I would say they all like us and like to be around us, but on their terms.

With our last batch (2 runners), we put an old comforter down on the floor (to catch the poop) and would lie down with them.  They would climb all over us and play with our hair and snuggle up in our arms.  As long as they made the decision for contact they were very happy with it, but they didn't like being picked up.  Now they are in the flock.

We go outside sometimes and lay the "duck comforter" on the ground.  If we lie on the comforter, 3/4 of the flock (total flock is 13) will come over on their own and nibble on our clothes / shoes / hair / fingers and lie down with us. (100% if we have treats ;) ). This includes all of the ducks, it just depends on the mood at the time.  If I go sit in the back yard in a chair, I will be joined by 2-6 ducks at all times (again all of them if I have treats) and again all the ducks will paticipate in this, just depends on thier moods.  None of them are willing to be picked up without being "caught". And once they are caught, some are happy to sit in our laps, some are submissive with their heads hanging, and some are fighting to get free - this depends on the duck for example, our Pekin, Snow is usually happy to sit in our laps, our Cayuga, Pocahontas is usually submissive and our Rouen Drake Kaine will fight the whole time.

Also it seems all of them are fine with having their bills/faces stroked while being hand fed (great for clearing down from their nares) and they don't mind having the front of their neck / crop / belly stroked.  It varries by bird, but not so much on the back and wings like you would a dog/cat. This probably comes from them being low in the food chain.  Things above them seem to make them more nervous.

I would say they all like us and like to be around us, but on their terms.

Lol this sounds awfully familiar :D
That's the well thought out post that I would have liked to have made!

Oh and what did you expect from your drake if you go and name it after the eldar god of war!

He was actually named after the handle of a cane. Since he has the green head and white ring. But after your point, I might consider putting an "H" after the "K" :)

Just to give every1 a heads up the two brown one's have just eaten out my hand progress on the second day whoop

He was actually named after the handle of a cane. Since he has the green head and white ring. But after your point, I might consider putting an "H" after the "K" :)

Lmao do it! Now I wish I'd called my drake Khorne instead of Charlie :)

Just to give every1 a heads up the two brown one's have just eaten out my hand progress on the second day whoop

Congrats!
Curiosity didn't kill the cat, curiosity got nibbled by the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom