Help needed to figure out what happened to my hen and why to do about it.

She can totally recover from this. That is a lot better than some of the injuries seen here on BYC.

You'll need to bring her inside and clean that off with hibiclens or Vetericyn. Then I'd put antibiotic ointment (or something like honey) on it. Keep it clean and moist and she should heal up fine. It will take a while, and she'll have to be inside to keep dirt and flies away.

Could it have been a predator attack? Or could she have injured herself somehow?
She is the only chicken I have. She is not tame enough to be handled easily. She is walking around a bit and drinking. I can see she has plucked her tail feathers too but it’s only to skin not bloody. I don’t have anything to put on her per say. I do have neosporin maybe even honey but I can’t keep her inside I have a dog that would go nuts if I did that. If I can get a spray antiseptic or something from TSI I could do that. If I put neosporin on it will bugs bother that? I’ve had chickens for 10 years and never seen this before. I feel so bad for her. She is a very skittish girl. Always has been. Her name is skittles for that reason.

She is the only chicken I have. She is not tame enough to be handled easily. She is walking around a bit and drinking. I can see she has plucked her tail feathers too but it’s only to skin not bloody. I don’t have anything to put on her per say. I do have neosporin maybe even honey but I can’t keep her inside I have a dog that would go nuts if I did that. If I can get a spray antiseptic or something from TSI I could do that. If I put neosporin on it will bugs bother that? I’ve had chickens for 10 years and never seen this before. I feel so bad for her. She is a very skittish girl. Always has been. Her name is skittles for that reason.
Well, you're going to have to catch her and handle her now. On the plus side, she will likely be much more docile after this. Do you have a shed or garage you can keep her in? The flies will be attracted to that wound.

I do have hib
Well, you're going to have to catch her and handle her now. On the plus side, she will likely be much more docile after this. Do you have a shed or garage you can keep her in? The flies will be attracted to that wound.
i do have hibiclens and neosporin. I’ll try to clean it and put neosporin on it. All my outside buildings are going to be hot I think. I live in southern Indiana so it’s very hot here. Had lots of rain and very humid. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Maybe a dog cage and placed in a room the dog doesn't go? That southern Indiana humidity is rough especially with the sudden rains after your recent drought conditions compared to usual. I agree it'll likely be too hot and humid compared to what she's used to.

I grew up around that way. 🙂

I do have hib

i do have hibiclens and neosporin. I’ll try to clean it and put neosporin on it. All my outside buildings are going to be hot I think. I live in southern Indiana so it’s very hot here. Had lots of rain and very humid. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
Poor girl. Looks painful, but I really think she'll be fine as long as it doesn't get flystrike or infection.

Since she’s an only chicken, I’d just let her stay in her regular setup. If she has a run attached to her coop, she can at least get out if a hot building, and she may be calmer in her familiar surroundings. If she’s hard to catch/handle, maybe it would be better to take her off her roost at night with as little light as possible and treat her.

I think I'd look around for evidence of some sort of predator. Rats could do this if they attacked in the dark. She would be helpless in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom