Help needed to figure out what happened to my hen and why to do about it.

Pharmtx

Hatching
Jul 27, 2022
I really need help figuring out what happened to my hen and what to do about it. I only have 1 hen. I had 2 and a year ago I lost 1. Today when I let her out of the coop she got into a corner and has a bloody back. It looks like meat Could she have done this over 1 night? I know she’s been molting and we did have a lot of rain. But other than that nothing has changed. She went in her coop like normal last night. I don’t know what to do. She is approx 8-10 years old. I don’t know how to attach a photo of her.

Screenshot_20220727-124617.png

Here is a pic of her back. She’s hunkered in the corner just staying there. I don’t know if I should euthanize her or if she can be saved

Attachments

• D5C229A5-1ADF-46C2-95EB-EA9B4E6C3FAD.jpeg
    D5C229A5-1ADF-46C2-95EB-EA9B4E6C3FAD.jpeg
    959 KB · Views: 3
She can totally recover from this. That is a lot better than some of the injuries seen here on BYC.

You'll need to bring her inside and clean that off with hibiclens or Vetericyn. Then I'd put antibiotic ointment (or something like honey) on it. Keep it clean and moist and she should heal up fine. It will take a while, and she'll have to be inside to keep dirt and flies away.

Could it have been a predator attack? Or could she have injured herself somehow?

Back
Top Bottom