Help! What’s wrong with my chicken?

Pics

SnowHugs

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
Blue Ridge, GA
At first I thought my hen was egg bound, but now I don’t think so. She’s acting like she is, but she has runny green poop, and her rear is squishy, not hard. She has also been alive for over three days now. We had a hen that did this before, and we kept her alive for two weeks till we had to let her go. Why does this keep happening? I gave her an epsom salt bath and some Tums yesterday. Any ideas of what is going on? Is there anything else I can give her to save her? She is only about a year old, so it doesn’t seem like she should be having these problems. Will it spread to my other girls? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, @SnowHugs!
I don't really know what the solution to your problem is🙁. I'm fairly new to chicken keeping but I thought I would see if I could help and encourage you. One of my hens got egg bound last week and passed away but I learned so much from the people on here for the next time!

To the best of my knowledge an egg bound hen isn't easily capable of pooing.
"When a chicken is egg-bound, they have an egg stuck in their body.
This blocks up much of their digestive system.
While it’s possible for a chicken to poop when eggbound, this isn’t likely.
Typically, if there is poop, it’ll be really loose as droppings with any substance to them will be blocked."

If she is egg bound, I was told that calcium citrate was best to give immediately (600mg per day). Whereas Tums has calcium carbonate that isn't as easy to digest quickly. Here's an article by someone who was helping me with my hen on egg bound hens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

I really hope that your hen will be alright. Perhaps a photo of the poo will help? Is she acting sad, distant and is her tail drooping?

Here's the thread for my hen. I learned lots from these people.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-eggbound-possible-prolapsed-vent.1618432/

Last edited:
@SnowHugs Has your hen been laying eggs regularly lately, and have you noticed any soft or thin shelled eggs in the nests or coop? Can you get a picture of her and possibly one of her vent area? Is her lower belly under the vent enlarged or swollen? Green poop indicates that she is not eating enough. Is there a white cap on the poops? Again pictures may help. Can you get her drinking some water with electrolytes or a little sugar? Offer some mushy wet chicken feed in a small bowl along with a little scrambled egg to see if she will take those. What does her crop feel like? Has she lost weight?

At first I thought my hen was egg bound, but now I don’t think so. She’s acting like she is, but she has runny green poop, and her rear is squishy, not hard. She has also been alive for over three days now. We had a hen that did this before, and we kept her alive for two weeks till we had to let her go. Why does this keep happening? I gave her an epsom salt bath and some Tums yesterday. Any ideas of what is going on? Is there anything else I can give her to save her? She is only about a year old, so it doesn’t seem like she should be having these problems. Will it spread to my other girls? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I am so sorry to hear your hen is doing poorly! I will be praying for you and your hen. :hugs

Hello, @SnowHugs!
I don't really know what the solution to your problem is🙁. I'm fairly new to chicken keeping but I thought I would see if I could help and encourage you. One of my hens got egg bound last week and passed away but I learned so much from the people on here for the next time! Also if I post on this thread it'll bring it back to the top of the list for more knowledgeable people to see.

Typically, if there is poop, it’ll be really loose as droppings with any substance to them will be blocked."

If she is egg bound, I was told that calcium citrate was best to give immediately (600mg per day). Whereas Tums has calcium carbonate that isn't as easy to digest quickly. Here's an article by someone who was helping me with my hen on egg bound hens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

I really hope that your hen will be alright. Perhaps a photo of the poo will help? Is she acting sad, distant and is her tail drooping?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-eggbound-possible-prolapsed-vent.1618432/
Thank you!

@SnowHugs Has your hen been laying eggs regularly lately, and have you noticed any soft or thin shelled eggs in the nests or coop? Can you get a picture of her and possibly one of her vent area? Is her lower belly under the vent enlarged or swollen? Green poop indicates that she is not eating enough. Is there a white cap on the poops? Again pictures may help. Can you get her drinking some water with electrolytes or a little sugar? Offer some mushy wet chicken feed in a small bowl along with a little scrambled egg to see if she will take those. What does her crop feel like? Has she lost weight?
She has been laying regularly until last week, but no un normal looking eggs or anything. She won’t let me look long enough to see her vent, but under is a large white bulge. She is very thick with feathers, so it is hard to tell if her tummy is large or not. We got her to eat some cooked egg and shells yesterday, but she refused to eat anything today. I will get a picture of her as soon as I get back to the house. My mom felt her crop, and she said it was squishy

It looks like she hasn’t pooped at all today. The poop is old now and won’t show up good on a picture, but it did have some white in it. She’s refusing to let me look at and take a picture of her vent, but this is the best she’ll let me do.
IMG_1793.jpeg

She has been laying regularly until last week, but no un normal looking eggs or anything. She won’t let me look long enough to see her vent, but under is a large white bulge. She is very thick with feathers, so it is hard to tell if her tummy is large or not. We got her to eat some cooked egg and shells yesterday, but she refused to eat anything today. I will get a picture of her as soon as I get back to the house. My mom felt her crop, and she said it was squishy

Attachments

• IMG_1793.jpeg
    IMG_1793.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1791.jpeg
    IMG_1791.jpeg
    676.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    698.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1785.jpeg
    IMG_1785.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1784.jpeg
    IMG_1784.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1781.jpeg
    IMG_1781.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Hello, @SnowHugs!
I don't really know what the solution to your problem is🙁. I'm fairly new to chicken keeping but I thought I would see if I could help and encourage you. One of my hens got egg bound last week and passed away but I learned so much from the people on here for the next time! Also if I post on this thread it'll bring it back to the top of the list for more knowledgeable people to see.

Hello, @SnowHugs!

Thank you! I am so sorry you lost yours! It was about two years ago when I lost one of my chickens that was very similar to this one’s. We had kept her in the bathroom for two weeks, feeding and watering her every hour.
Yes, her tail is lowered and she is staying away from everyone. She also isn’t really keeping her eyes open. I put her in her own fence for now. I posted some pictures of her. Her name is Pecky Carter

Do you have any calcium? I would give her 600 mg of human calcium citrate with vitamin D3 orally. If you only have Tums or other calcium give that, but the calcium citrate is fastest absorbed. Find it at Walmart or other pharmacies and generic or Equate brand is find. If she can’t poop, I would be concerned that she is egg bound.

Back
Top Bottom