Unsure what’s wrong??

Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I have a hen that has been off for a few days now. I find her alone laying on the ground eye closed but she wouldn’t let me catch her so I figured if she feels good enough to run away maybe she’s not so bad.
We were hit with the cold winter weather and I figured if she was gonna die it was once the temps dropped but she’s still kicking.
Today I noticed her on the roost alone while everyone was walking around the coop. They all refused to leave the coop so I brought in some hot oatmeal and I grabbed her so she could get some and she ate.
I then replaced the empty containers with their feed and when I came back in to check on her she was just eyes closed sitting there almost penguin like. I thought maybe egg bound? I brought her in and did a luke warm bath, gave the calcium tablet and lubed her up and felt around. It was mostly white gritty poop that came out. I didn’t feel any broken egg shell or egg. She’s now wrapped up in a towel laying on my chest while I work from home.
I plan to make her a cage in the cooler part of the home so she doesn’t get shocked when she *hopefully* recovers and goes back out.
I plan to get her some fluids and scrambled eggs. Any ideas on what this could be?
Would a molt cause this?? I felt like she looked a little rough but never seen a chicken molt in winter.

Attachments

• IMG_5014.jpeg
    IMG_5014.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 25
How old is she and does she normally lay eggs? Check her crop in the early morning before she eats or drinks to see if her crop is emptying overnight. Are her poops looking normal? Pictures are welcome. Is her tail position down? Is her lower belly enlarged? Reproductive disorders are a common cause of illness in hens, and crop disorders may also accompany them.

How old is she and does she normally lay eggs? Check her crop in the early morning before she eats or drinks to see if her crop is emptying overnight. Are her poops looking normal? Pictures are welcome. Is her tail position down? Is her lower belly enlarged? Reproductive disorders are a common cause of illness in hens, and crop disorders may also accompany them.
Age I’m not sure maybe 2yr? Maybe less. Her crop was super empty this morning I gave her the calcium and then freaked myself out thinking she had a lump then realizing it was the pill. 🙈 she chowed down on some eggs and has a nice full crop now. I’ll take a photo of her and post it. She had a poopy butt and that’s what initially signaled me something was off. That combined with the laying down.

Hard to see in the picture, but are the normally white urates in her dropping yellowish? She does have that posture that looks like a hen with internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis.

@Eggcessive i can try and get a better photo of the poop it mostly looked white and brown but I couldn’t tell you what her regular poop looks like as I don’t have poop boards and they free range.
Is there anything I can do for the latter?

Back
Top Bottom