Help needed urgently

Sadiew

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Spain
Help needed, I have just returned from being on a 2 week trip away and although my chicks and ducks well well looked after it was failed to pick up on that my young 8 month old duck has not been eating, she kept falling over to side yesterday when I got back so took her straight to vet, she is very think and not much muscle strength left she is fading away, I have build ups to add to her water and vitamins from vet, they said to try and encourage her to eat which I am doing but she is not interested she is drinking, her poo was yellowy but now turning bright green, what other foods can I tempt her with she may like, she normally eats her feed and loves sweetcorn and greens but she is not interested in any of those at moment, please any advice much appreciated. Apart from being so thin she has no other injuries or any pests on her. Thanks.

Put some nutrients in the water. You can soak oatmeal (not the instant kind) in water for a while, then pour that liquid into a dish for her to drink. It is called gruel. You could also make a gruel using her regular feed pellets.

Poultry Nutri-drench is another source of calories and a few vitamins.

Her electrolytes are probably off, I would add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a pint of water for her to drink. You can combine some of these things into one bowl for her.

Consider this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ds-chickens-including-tube-feeding-techniques

hugs.gif

Please keep us posted.

@Sadiew I think that in addition to what Amiga wrote, I would offer her gummies like strawberries with hulls, but cut up, a chopped up hard boiled egg yolk, peas, etc. the yummies that you know she likes. Be on the lookout for new additional symptoms to appear and post back.

Last edited:
Dont think it is anything toxic and vet didnt think so either ( vet thinks by amount of weight she has lost its been about a week and half to 2 weeks she has not eaten) and they were not out of their run while I was gone as friends who looked after them too frightened in case they disappeared, they do have a lrge run and I have checked all around in case anything has been added all looks fine.Normally when I am here they come out for their daily walks and follow me around. I have managed to get her to take through a large syringe some ground down feed with sweetcorn added along with the vitamins and build up vet supplied and mixed with apple vinegar and water, in between the syringe feeds she is drinking the water mix. I will continue to syringe feed just not sure exactly how many times a day to feed that way, doing it as many times as she allows.I so hope she makes it, its so upsetting, she is such a lovely duck. I dont think I will go on vacation again and leave all my lovely ducks and chicks behind. Thanks to all advice. So far no improvement but no more decline either, fingers crossed.

Dont think it is anything toxic and vet didnt think so either ( vet thinks by amount of weight she has lost its been about a week and half to 2 weeks she has not eaten) and they were not out of their run while I was gone as friends who looked after them too frightened in case they disappeared, they do have a lrge run and I have checked all around in case anything has been added all looks fine.Normally when I am here they come out for their daily walks and follow me around. I have managed to get her to take through a large syringe some ground down feed with sweetcorn added along with the vitamins and build up vet supplied and mixed with apple vinegar and water, in between the syringe feeds she is drinking the water mix. I will continue to syringe feed just not sure exactly how many times a day to feed that way, doing it as many times as she allows.I so hope she makes it, its so upsetting, she is such a lovely duck. I dont think I will go on vacation again and leave all my lovely ducks and chicks behind. Thanks to all advice. So far no improvement but no more decline either, fingers crossed.
fl.gif

I hope she starts to improve. I would certainly continue to syringe feed if she lets you, just be very careful. Did the vet show you how? You can probably research it if not. The risk of choking/aspiration is high, but it is worth doing if you are confident that you can do it carefully.

Maybe you could add some ground up peas, or some soaked pellets to the gruel you are feeding her. Sweet corn has little value nutritionally. Or some ground up or soaked cat kibble would be good, that is high in protein.

You are a great duck parent, keep up the great work and I bet you pull her through.
hugs.gif
to you both

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom