Help needed with a sick goose for a novice

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
Our animal rescue has ended up with a goose with an injured eye. I’m treating that with antibiotic ointment and anti inflammatory drops.

I’ve never had a goose before. I keep chickens but I had a spare pen while we are treating it so she ended up with me.

I don’t have easy access to grass for it. Can I just feed a pellet or something like that instead?

there is a suspected outbreak of botulism at the public park it came from. Am I exposing my chickens to risk if it’s in a pen I also will let them in when she’s gone?
A7F4BA35-513F-46D1-8E45-CF6B56D788C9.jpeg

She's fine on chicken feed. You can also give her some hay if you have that. Romain lettuce is goose crack. Mine also love apples, grapes and any tropical fruit.
Does the hay have to be chopped up fine or anything?
Sunday here so pet store hay only. They have meadow, lucerne and oat?

There is also Purina duck pellets. A lot of members feed them if you have just waterfowl. Poor thing sure looks rough!
Yeah not sure if the sight will come back or not in the eye. Fingers crossed.

it’s funny. I spent most of my life scared of the geese at this park but she’s so friendly and sweet. Rethinking my whole geese stereotype!

I just give mine whatever hay I have for the horses. First preference is a fine stemmed grass hay. In the winter, they eat just about anything that looks like hay. A head of lettuce and she'll be your best friend.

Back
Top Bottom