Help needed with a weak duckling

The next day after hatching it started eating...It was a bit weak too but after 48 hours it was fine....:frow
I wet my Duckling feed to a soupy mix the first few days till they are better at eating....That way they get hydrated and get food.....

I do the same, but it refuses to drink water, eat any solid or water mixed food, didn't drink sugared water,... I tried to put a few drops into its bill, but I had no luck.

Is your duckling pooping?
No, not even once yet.

Also put it back with the other Duckling....They were not attacking it..They noodle each other for comfort and how they get to bond....That Duckling might be very lonely and why it just sleeps.....The others will get it up and eating and drinking.....
I tried getting them together again and the healthy duckling goes for its eyes and quite roughly pulls its feathers. I have removed them. At the moment, I only have two ducklings, both in the same large box so they can hear each other. The weak one is in a smaller box. Sometimes the large one knocks on the smaller box and the weaker duckling replies the same way but very slowly.

Put it with them....They all noodle and pull....Do not put human emotions on the Ducklings...They need the stimulation from each other to thrive....
Sadly it will either survive or die...It stands a better chance if you do not interfere in what is natural to all Ducklings...They will teach it to eat as it will follow them around in the Brooder....

It opens his eyes and can have it's head up, but not for long. It just drops down after it gets in contact with the stronger duckling. When it's left alone for a while it keeps its head up and has his eyes closed. If I try to get him drink, he usually also drops his little head down to its side and rests.
It does have a pooper and it seems there was a little bit of discharge when I was uncovering it. Just a drop, I took a photo.

IMG_20170521_184832.jpg

I also filmed them together in the same box.

Last edited:
Ducklings do not get pasty butt....If it's not eating it wont poop...The first poop is usually very black....
I seriously recommend putting it with the others...Try peeping to it and put some wet food on your finger and put drops of water on the end of its Bill ..It should put its head back and swallow the water..Do not force it to drink because that can cause them to aspirate.....

Ducklings do not get pasty butt....If it's not eating it wont poop...The first poop is usually very black....
I seriously recommend putting it with the others...Try peeping to it and put some wet food on your finger and put drops of water on the end of its Bill ..It should out its head back and swallow the water..Do not force it to drink because that can cause them to aspirate.....
Okay... That duckling is very weak and does not need to be subjected to the abuse the other duckling is giving it, and it should have pooped by now even though it's not eating.

Back
Top Bottom