help needed with AI

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewChickenMom, Nov 12, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i'm trying to AI my cuckoo silkie roo and i'm just not getting very much out of him. is he just uncomfortable? or is he really just that unfertile?

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    He shouldn't be uncomfortable...at least physically [​IMG] STroke hims back firmly several times, turn him upside down and place a finger on each side of his vent. Squeeze lightly upwards. Usually there is about a 1/4 tsp. of whitish semen. Have an eyedropper handy and pick it up with an eyedropper. That much should be enought to inseminate 2 or 3 hens.

Turn them upside down, touch the eyedropper to their vent and release a drop onto the vent. You will see the vent contract, drawing the semen into the vent.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    There is a very good Video on Youtube and I have tried to copy so I can paste it for you but if it doesn't show up just good Artificial Insemination and you will see it. This gal does a very good demonstration.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Chicken mom i just wanted to make sure you saw the Video. I sent you a pm. Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by