Help needed with my two new chickens please!

Sassylilthing

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Utah
Hi everyone,

At the beginning of October I purchased what I was told were two Americauna pullet chicks (they said they were 90% sure they were pullets). I have been keeping them separated from my other chickens until they get a tad bigger but one of them looks different than the other and I thought I heard crowing coming from my coop the other morning. Unfortunately I cannot have any roosters so I wanted a second opinion on them both before I started looking for a new home for the one I think is the Roo. Any help would be appreciated!! Top pic is Blue, no comb yet with the light brown head. Second and third pics are Copper (the one I think is the Roo) red comb already and you cant see the tail feathers in these pics but they curl downward and are green/black.

Thank you everyone!!! After holding Copper today and getting a better look at the tail and etc. that's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure because this is my first time with Americauna's.

Are you sure they are Ameraucanas? Hatcheries and feed stores sell 'Ameraucanas' all the time, and they are part Ameraucana, but they are also part something else. We call these mixes Easter Eggers- EE for short. EE's have green legs, no color (If they say 'this is a buff Ameraucana' or 'these here are white Ameraucanas' chances are they are true), and lay blue, pink, green, white, olive and brown eggs. Real Ameraucanas have gray legs and all lay the same color egg- blue.

Honestly I though the guy with all the chicks knew what he was talking about but after reading through a ton of the posts in this forum and looking at the pics I think the guy I bought them from was totally wrong and you guys are right they must EE's. I have 4 Red sex links right now and my kids talked me into adding two more to our chicken family lol. Either way I don't mind what they are, I think they're both beautiful and I'm kinda bummed that I can't keep the Roo. And my kiddos will be excited to see the eggs no matter what color they are
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom