HELP NEEDED

First, she is absolutely beautiful! Second. I just went through this. My hen had the exact same symptoms. No other symptoms of respiratory distress other than the gaping and gasping for air. No mucus, no runny nose, no nothing. The screaming is most likely an expellitory response (an aggressive cough to clear airways or blockages.) Which my hen would do too. Especially while eating or drinking. My hen wouldn't do so either. I had to force her to eat and drink. Shes completely back to normal aside from a random cough here and there. You can check out my post and see if you think its the same and see how i treated it.
Here's my thread: My husband informed me my Morans hen was making a weird noise like she was gasping for air. Sure enough. The videos are uploading to YouTube at the moment, so i will post them in the comments in a bit. She sounds raspy and hoarse and like shes gasping for air. Her crop is empty all but a quarter... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-whats-wrong-with-her.1463224/

Make sure to look inside her beak and throat for any mucus or yellow material. It does sound like she could have a respiratory disease, possibly viral, that the tylosin won’t help. Viruses include infectious bronchitis or ILT, and those have to run their course over weeks. Antibiotics are useless for viruses or fungal infections. If she has mycoplasma (MG, CRD,) the tylosin may help. What is the dosage?

It doesn’t hurt to worm her with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Panacur paste, 1/4 ml per pound of weight, and give it for 5 straight days. That will treat gapeworms and other common chicken worms. Make sure that she is getting enough fluids and that her nostrils and beak are clean. If you see any bubbles or foam in her eyes, that can be more associated with MG. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom