Help!! Neighbors dog attacked my chickens!

Gatorade, warm water with honey/sugar/molasses and and a pinch of salt. Keep her warm, dark and quiet to let her sleep.

Both you and your neighbors need to strengthen your animal security.
They have an enclosed coop but during the day I let them free range in the yard. Like I said, I inherited these chickens…a friend past away and his wife left the state and had asked me to move into her house so not wasn’t left vacant…in doing so I became the new care taker for her late husband’s chickens. I have been using the accommodations that were already previously in place for them along with making improvements as I am able. I am in the process of building them a completely new coop that is elevated from the ground along with a fully enclosed run but unfortunately it is not finished yet. As for the neighbors… they are…how do I say this politely…meth heads, the neighbors are meth heads! So trying to get them to be even remotely responsible for any of their 17 dogs is about as easy as teaching a cat how to scuba dive!

Might consider building a fence. Or at least a fenced run/range area for the chickens. Electric fence is often used to deter dogs.

Sorry this happened, and I really hope your chickens are okay.
They have a fenced in run but they fly over it. I had previously held off on wing clipping because I didn’t want them to not have a means of escaping if needed…but this time the neighbors dog jumped my fence… it is a husky mix of some kind… the fence is slightly below chest height on me and I am 5’. I’m doing my best here… I understand there are things I still need to improve upon but I’m trying I really am.

I did
Gatorade, warm water with honey/sugar/molasses and and a pinch of salt. Keep her warm, dark and quiet to let her sleep.

Both you and your neighbors need to strengthen your animal security.
I did however go and give them a piece of mind…I doubt it sank in much past the surface though.

If someones dog "got loose" into my yard more than once and did something like that I'd just go ahead and shoot it. First ones a freebie, second one is on them. You could call the police, there is no reason you should tolerate that behavior. I trained my dogs not to touch the chickens in a few days. If the dog is doing all that and having fun and not getting in trouble by the owner it's just going to keep doing it. They may even be sending the dog to do it. Some people don't like roosters around.
Oh, I’m sure the dog is hurting a bit…it actually came over once about a month ago and twice today. The first time it happened today I shot at it with a co2 pistol BB gun and I know I hit it at least twice…which I had fully believed would have been enough to deter it from coming back. Well when I saw it here again I lit it up with a fully automatic co2 rifle at 3 bbs a second and haven’t seen it since. Hopefully it has more brains than its owners and keeps its ass home from now on! Thankfully the second time it came today I was ready for it and it didn’t get ahold of any of them.

They have a fenced in run but they fly over it. I had previously held off on wing clipping because I didn’t want them to not have a means of escaping if needed…but this time the neighbors dog jumped my fence… it is a husky mix of some kind… the fence is slightly below chest height on me and I am 5’. I’m doing my best here… I understand there are things I still need to improve upon but I’m trying I really am.
Sounds like you got thrown into the deep end and are trying desperately to swim. It's okay if you doggie paddle for a while.

Address the most urgent issues first, and keep at it until you get to all of them. When chickens free range, losses are expected, whether to dogs or other predators. Try not to beat yourself up over it. Sounds like you're doing the best you can in a very difficult situation without having time to adequately prepare. I hate situations like that - they can really suck!

You can put bird netting on top of runs to deter flying predators, but it won't do anything against dogs. If the dogs are jumping the fence without touching it or trying to dig under it first, electric fence wire won't be able to do much since they aren't contacting it.

ETA: electric netting might be a good choice - I haven't used it but others have had good things to say about it.

My answer to the fear of dog attacks was to put 1/2" hardware cloth over a 6 ft tall chain link dog kennel, including the top of it, and I build rafters of a sort to angle the roof. For jumping dogs, you'd need the roof to be able to support weight and the hardware cloth to be taut so they can't get their teeth or claws into it. You can cover with a tarp, or not, as desired. There are green house frames and hoop coops in the Coop and Run Building Forum on here that can show how to provide adequate protection. Hoop coops will probably be least expensive - Get a couple cattle panels, bend to a rectangular frame, cover hoops with hardware cloth. Add a 2-3 ft apron. Frame a door or 2, put a tarp on some of it, and you have a pretty predator resistant coop/run.

Clip their wings, it doesn't hurt them. Best of luck.
Huskys have a high prey drive, instincts and all that
I have already decided today is wing clipping day as soon as I find where ever the rest of my chickens are hiding that is.

Oh, I’m sure the dog is hurting a bit…it actually came over once about a month ago and twice today. The first time it happened today I shot at it with a co2 pistol BB gun and I know I hit it at least twice…which I had fully believed would have been enough to deter it from coming back. Well when I saw it here again I lit it up with a fully automatic co2 rifle at 3 bbs a second and haven’t seen it since. Hopefully it has more brains than its owners and keeps its ass home from now on! Thankfully the second time it came today I was ready for it and it didn’t get ahold of any of them.
IMG_3659.jpeg
IMG_3660.jpeg
This is the setup I have for her for the moment…I am going to lay a blanket over it for her so she feels more secure. I did the best I could with the splinting without having another set of hands to help. I thoroughly cleaned the wound with some numbing wound cleansing spray and some cotton pads and then rubbed some prescription strength lidocaine cream on her entire leg. I wrapped a cotton pad around her leg to help with comfort with the splints…which I also wrapped in electrical tape so there were no sharp edges to poke her and then wrapped the whole thing in breathable medical tape.

Back
Top Bottom