Help! Neighbor's dog continues to kill chickens!

I think OP is asking what to do about the bird, not necessarily the dog. The "kill the dog" replies are absurd. Im would try feeding the bird a variety of things to spark its interest in food, like pumpkin and other vegetables. Keep her warm and have fresh water nearby. Im sure she will be fine by herself for a while. Ive had birds separated from the flock to heal, and they seemed content. Good luck and keep us updated.

I think OP is asking what to do about the bird, not necessarily the dog. The "kill the dog" replies are absurd. Im would try feeding the bird a variety of things to spark its interest in food, like pumpkin and other vegetables. Keep her warm and have fresh water nearby. Im sure she will be fine by herself for a while. Ive had birds separated from the flock to heal, and they seemed content. Good luck and keep us updated.[/QUOT
Just FYI most states have laws stating that you can kill a dog for chasing hurassing or injuring or killing your livestock with no legal liability. Furthermore the owners of the dog may be fined and be required to pay vet bills and replacement of any livestock. Law does not seem to think it is so absurd! Just saying.

I think OP is asking what to do about the bird, not necessarily the dog. The "kill the dog" replies are absurd. Im would try feeding the bird a variety of things to spark its interest in food, like pumpkin and other vegetables. Keep her warm and have fresh water nearby. Im sure she will be fine by herself for a while. Ive had birds separated from the flock to heal, and they seemed content. Good luck and keep us updated.
Not absurd, look at the title of the thread. Help! neighbor dog keeps killing chickens. The OP has been given a lot of ideas on how to move forward. Take the best and leave the rest I say.

Gary

This all started a few weeks ago when we heard chicken screams coming from our neighbors backyard. When we peered over the fence we found a massacre of chickens. Our hearts broke for our neighbors, being chicken owners as well, we couldn't imagine coming home to 10 chickens peppered throughout the lawn knowing your four legged friend was the one to blame. We yelled at the dog to stop but it was no use, the damage was already done. A couple days ago this same dog managed to get into our backyard and kill all but one of our chickens.
What can be done about this dog??

The one we have left looks to be intact and is showing minimal signs of attack but we can't get her to eat or drink. This attack happened 3 days ago and she has since refused to eat or drink. We have forced some water via syringe. She was attacked in the afternoon and laid an egg by that same evening, my partner and I thought this to be a good sign but she doesn't seem to be getting better. She has a swollen eye and is missing feathers around her neck. She does seem a bit weezey when she clucks.
Could she be depressed? How do I know if she's suffering and is better off joining her recently deceased sisters? Also can she survive alone? We have her inside right now because I don't know how she would do out in the coop all by herself, especially with how she has been acting.
Shot it or clobber it

I don't know about what to do for the chicken. Some times animals are strange and even if there is little physical trauma they make up their mind to die. my daughter is a vet and she used that example as the reason why there are so few vets willing to treat birds.

Now as far as the dog goes I would shoot it and send it to the landfill. I would also make sure I would have photographic evidence via a game camera of the dog on my property destroying my chickens. I would set up a game camera now before acquiring new chickens and turn the pics over to code enforcement for violation of leash laws. Neighbors who allow this to occur are sending you a clear message that they will deny you your basic rights of being a property owner. By allowing their dog to run free they are telling you what you can and can't do on your piece of dirt.

As they say in Texas, 'That dog doesn't hunt for me.' Check out your local laws. I can not lawfully discharge a firearm because I'm within city limits. But that law is trumped by my rights to protect my livestock from predation. Feral or domestic, once on my property it becomes a predator if it decides to kill or run my livestock. .

Back
Top Bottom