Help! New Arrivals

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
So I'm getting some adult peafowl (3-4) years old, and I was wondering if they have a strong homing signal. Meaning if I bring them home and release them will they just disappear on me, if so do I need to pen them up for awhile…how long. What do I need to know before I go get them, I need advice mighty peafowl experts.

I released mine the first week (When I first had peafowl), and they ran away. I still do not let mine out, since the fear they will leave. I would strongly consider of not releasing them until 3 months to 6 months (Just to be safe). Remember, they can fly. If you do not have flight netting, clip there wings.

Quote:
i didn't pen my chickens when i just relocated.... i just put their feeders and waterers by the back door and popped them onto the porch railing and they've been there .... well, there and around the yard lol... for a month and no problems...

i didn't bring my peas when i moved because i wouldn't have a pen for them... they do need penned for a while before they're let loose... they need to learn where home is.... but peas also need another fowl or a person to teach them to eat when they're born, maybe they just never outgrow their "DUH!!" phase... lol...

oohhh and they say that when you're ready to let them lose to only let one out at first, that way if it wanders, the others can call it back to the pen....
i'm not posative, but i would give each bird a few days out before releasing another, rather than releasing one then the next day another etc... don't know why, but it feels like a good idea... again for the bird in the pen calling back i guess??

they should be in mating season if they're not traumatized from relocation....

we need pictures....

Back
Top Bottom