Help! New Baby Can't Stand after hatch!

I suggest putting a mirror and a stuffed toy in their brooders so they won't get lonely and have something to snuggle up against. I have been lucky so far to not have any issues with chicks bullying one-another, the most issue I have when they are young is them pecking at one-another's toes... Who also peck at their own toes, so it is more of a "What are these? Food?" Than aggression.

Great Idea about the mirror and stuffed animal, I will do that for sure!

I ended up moving both chicks to the same brooder...The first one seemed really lonely was chirping loudly the whole time. I watched them for awhile and he wasn't trying to bully the other one, just thankful for a buddy. I did put the mirror in there and stuffed animal. It seemed to help.

Chicks in most cases do not injure each other...Human emotions do not apply with baby animals....They all taste , peck, bite anything....Shiny things like eyes are fun...Sprinkle some feed on the floor of the brooder and add a piece of wood to peck...Make the brooder fun...

Chicks in most cases do not injure each other...Human emotions do not apply with baby animals....They all taste , peck, bite anything....Shiny things like eyes are fun...Sprinkle some feed on the floor of the brooder and add a piece of wood to peck...Make the brooder fun...

This is true lol...I purchased a bird toy with a bell on it for them to peck at and a wooden ladder to jump off of. I haven't added those to the brooder yet, But will. Thanks :)

This is true lol...I purchased a bird toy with a bell on it for them to peck at and a wooden ladder to jump off of. I haven't added those to the brooder yet, But will. Thanks :)

Mine have, or had until I decided to give them back to the hen full term, a sand bedding. It has tissue at the bottom and sand on the top. The sand gives them grit which helps them digest the food and prevent pasty butt, and something to peck at along with their food. The chicks also like to peck at the reptile thermometer as it is shiny and has different colours on it, green, orange and red. Even baby quail are fascinated by it.

Plus I handle them quite often, they never have a dull moment. They get taken outside where they have fun foraging about while I supervise them and take them back in when the temp starts dropping or when they get tired, whichever comes first. The chicks even tried some strawberry today from a bit the hen dropped when I was giving her some... They weren't too fond of the texture and started clumsily wiping their beaks after each teeni nibble before the hen ate it. :p

Weird question but has the chick pooped yet? Only reason I ask is I had one that couldn't stand, brooder box was correct so in theory standing should have been easy. I took the chick sat it on the floor to inspect it and it slowly rose on its hocks and began to do the poop wiggle. This chick pooped like crazy and was immediately mobile.

Weird question but has the chick pooped yet? Only reason I ask is I had one that couldn't stand, brooder box was correct so in theory standing should have been easy. I took the chick sat it on the floor to inspect it and it slowly rose on its hocks and began to do the poop wiggle. This chick pooped like crazy and was immediately mobile.

While both chicks were in the incubator, the one that couldn't stand was getting picked on by the other one, so I had the bright idea of putting a small plastic basket inside the incubator to separate the new baby until it could get his strength up. Well that didn't work too well because the feisty one just hopped right in the basket lol...But I put a cage liner inside the basket and there was poop on it this morning, But I do not know which one done it. :confused:

While both chicks were in the incubator, the one that couldn't stand was getting picked on by the other one, so I had the bright idea of putting a small plastic basket inside the incubator to separate the new baby until it could get his strength up. Well that didn't work too well because the feisty one just hopped right in the basket lol...But I put a cage liner inside the basket and there was poop on it this morning, But I do not know which one done it. :confused:

How hard is it pecking at the chick? Is it removing fluff? Is it a fast paced yet short peeps or a fast paced loud long peeps?

My chicks sometimes climb over and under one-another and do light pecks at each-other without doing any damage and do fast-paced short peeps as they do so, and for the first day chicks are quite vocal after hatching, peeping over EVERYTHING and tend to be quite loud from my experience before quieting down a little.

Back
Top Bottom