Help! New chick coming tomorrow. How high should my red light be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grammahen, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have cut down a fridge box and have a red heat light over it. It say on my thermometer that it is 80 degrees on the edge but it seems very hot right under it. I have it raised up about 16 degrees from the shavings to the bulb. Am I ok? I am so afraid of fire.

Thanks for and advise! I wll try to upload my pic
    [​IMG]

2. Grammahen

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Here is the side angle. The box is 27 inches high.

[​IMG]

3. Grammahen

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I meant 16 inches from the bulb to the shavings! I am too excited about my chicks to type correctly![​IMG]

4. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I would think as long as the light isn't touching anything you should be okay. I would make sure that pole is secure. Can you tape the end down so it doesn't roll?

5. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    I kicked around the idea of putting an eye bolt or some other kind of hook in the ceiling, giving me the ability to raise and lower the light as needed.

6. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Or even cut a notch in each side of the box for the pole to rest in. ..

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    However you do it, double secure the heat lamp, so if the clamp pops or gives way, something will be there as backup to prevent the heat lamp from falling into the shavings. I used a scrap of clothesline wire secured to a floor lamp, which is what the heat lamp was clamped to. Maybe a broomstick across the box top to secure it to. Hook in the ceiling if you need to. (Is there a ceiling fan or light?) You'll figure out something.

What is the temp UNDER the heat lamp? I mean directly under it.

I hope your heat lamp has a ceramic base for the bulb, not a plastic one.

8. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    When your chicks come, watch what they do .. If they huttle all up top each other too cold...If they are completely scattered all over the place(along walls no where near light) TOO HOT.... If they are evenly distributed in the light and around it, its perfect..

9. Grammahen

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thanks so much for all the wonderful replys!

I tried putting the thermometer right under the light and it was very hot. about 110, but around the edge it is 80. I'm not sure how accurate that thermometer is. Look at how old it is. I will try to put another in there tomorrow morning before I go.
    I did tape down that pole. I also poked a hole in the box under the pole and wrapped a ribbon tight to secure it. Not going anywhere now.

10. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Be careful about the red light.....I got a 250-watt heat lamp and the temp under it went I think up to 150 degrees or so. EEEEK! Needless to say we didn't use it at all. I can't see using it unless I had a BIG area to heat, and a way to hang it 4-5 feet above the chicks, only on one side of the brooding area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by