Help! New chick coming tomorrow. How high should my red light be?

Grammahen

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Southern New Hampshire
I have cut down a fridge box and have a red heat light over it. It say on my thermometer that it is 80 degrees on the edge but it seems very hot right under it. I have it raised up about 16 degrees from the shavings to the bulb. Am I ok? I am so afraid of fire.

Thanks for and advise! I wll try to upload my pic
23582_chicks_100.jpg

However you do it, double secure the heat lamp, so if the clamp pops or gives way, something will be there as backup to prevent the heat lamp from falling into the shavings. I used a scrap of clothesline wire secured to a floor lamp, which is what the heat lamp was clamped to. Maybe a broomstick across the box top to secure it to. Hook in the ceiling if you need to. (Is there a ceiling fan or light?) You'll figure out something.

What is the temp UNDER the heat lamp? I mean directly under it.

I hope your heat lamp has a ceramic base for the bulb, not a plastic one.

When your chicks come, watch what they do .. If they huttle all up top each other too cold...If they are completely scattered all over the place(along walls no where near light) TOO HOT.... If they are evenly distributed in the light and around it, its perfect..

Thanks so much for all the wonderful replys!

I tried putting the thermometer right under the light and it was very hot. about 110, but around the edge it is 80. I'm not sure how accurate that thermometer is. Look at how old it is. I will try to put another in there tomorrow morning before I go.
I did tape down that pole. I also poked a hole in the box under the pole and wrapped a ribbon tight to secure it. Not going anywhere now.

Be careful about the red light.....I got a 250-watt heat lamp and the temp under it went I think up to 150 degrees or so. EEEEK! Needless to say we didn't use it at all. I can't see using it unless I had a BIG area to heat, and a way to hang it 4-5 feet above the chicks, only on one side of the brooding area.

Back
Top Bottom