HELP!! New chick has a jacked up leg

Trepidus

Hatching
Dec 13, 2015
Hello everyone,

I would first like to start out by thanking all of you guys for your great input and the cumulative wealth of knowledge you all share; you have helped me greatly.
I do not post much here mostly because I dont have to because 700 people before me have asked all of these questions and I go through a number of forums to get answers and see the pictures of others flocks.

Now, here is something that I am just having a really difficult time figuring out.
I had a baby duck (are they still called chicks)? hatch and its leg is jacked up. As it everything "looks" normal other than the fact that he can not put his foot down. It is shaped correctly, it faces the right direction, but it almost looks hyper extended forward. If that makes sense.

I dont mind having a duck that will end up swimming in circles, but I am not up for hand feeding and watering the little guy.

My wife and I have only been able to find information on tendon issues, which from what I can see from the pictures others have posted, that is not the problem, or the problem in its entirety.

I would like to know what your guys thoughts are, should I hang out for a day and see if it gets better? I was thinking that maybe gently pulling the bones apart and setting the leg in the right spot.

Its an Orpington Buff Duck.

Other leg seems fine, none of the bones feel broken, I can not feel the tendon, It will not straighten by hand (very minimal movement when trying), duck is not a fan of it being touched. Oddly does not mind being held upside down.

I have one of those foam incubators that has the fat side of the egg up, self rotating, humidity was 55-65 during incubation time, 75 when it started to pip (increased it after mess with membrane to about 80, pulled him out and its back to 75) temps 98.5-100, candled about 6 times through the process.

STORY OF THE CHICK.
This little booger has messed with our plans/time so much lately its been a mess.
His story goes like this this. Everything was fine through the pip. He started to unzip and just chilled for just over 40 hours without making progress. So I opened the hole up and he was a bit stuck in the membrane, I then sat for a number of hours with q-tips slowly and painfully (I am not a patient person either) getting it wet and slowly rolling up and off the little dudes face, once it was off, I placed him back in the bator and waited some more (this was how I spent the better part of my Easter Sunday) I left this morning and dude was chilling in his egg, chirping away. I figured everything was fine. Well when I got back, I came home to a healthy chick in every way but this leg. I thought maybe he was laying because he was tired nope it was the Leg. So for the last few hours we have been chirping back and forth while my wife and I scour the internet for an answer. (but who are we kidding we are going to end up back here any how).

Leg looks like your arm if you were to bend your elbow up all the way.

Last edited:

Maybe brace it to the other leg? That's mostly for splayed legs, but it may help.. Or brace it away from the body if it's stuck up against the belly.. I had a chick recently with a leg that didn't work for whatever reason -whenever she tried to walk she'd just flip over on her back- I kept her alone in the incubator for a few extra days, taking her out for food and water and making sure she didn't flip into any of it and got up when she flipped. She eventually was able to walk normally. Even if not, chickens and ducks get around amazingly well on one leg. I had one come out of the egg with her leg pointing completely to the side; she still did everything a normal chicken did and was even pretty hard to catch,
Ducks in my experience are especially good at living with leg issues; every time we've had ducks on my pond, one would inevitably get a messed up leg somehow and end up hopping around; they're a bit slow but still amazingly good at getting around. I even had one who lost all its toes once due to a very harsh winter, still did most everything a normal duck would do.

Back
Top Bottom