1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help!!! New Chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gamecock, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Gamecock

Gamecock In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    Columbia Northeast SC
    My 9month old Dominicker just hatched one egg, now what, Do I seperate them from the others? ( 2 eastereggers, 2 comets, and 2 other domoniques) or should I just allow her to care for the little Chick? She seems to have very good mothering skills, but the nest is elevated in the coop. I'm glad I only allowed her to have one. I'm just now tring to introduse the 2 comets into the flock.

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    It was recommended to me to keep them separate for now. Mine are 4 weeks old. I bring one of the old gals out to the nursery yard... which is my backyard... for a few hours each day. I started this 4 days ago and only one issue. One of the chicks pecked at the lo' hens comb and she took offense, went after baby and Mama got to ol hen first. They did the whole stretch neck thing and chest poof stuff to get the point across. All is well. But I would keep them apart for a while.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: