Help! new chicken w/ wound!

chickens^^

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
West Virginia
ok I am 13, but I LOVE chickens. Well Saturday, I got 5 araucanas and yesterday my rooster attacked one of them and now it is in my bathroom along with the other chickens(so the others do not get injured either). The rooster tore all the skin off the back of the araucana's neck. It was bleeding alot. I put antibiotic ointment on it and it is very tired. Earlier it ate and drank some. I am still very worried though because there is a large amount of dried blood and I need to know if it is ok for the skin to grow over the dried blood or if I should try to get rid of the dried blood. I am desperate for advice. PLEASE HELP!
fl.gif

Last edited:
You can try to get some of the dried blood off with warm water and a cotton ball or washcloth. Just be gentle. Reapply the neosporin. The neopsporin will probably soften the dried blood anyway and make it easy to dab off. You might try putting vitamin and electrolytes in her water. You can get it at any feed store. Just a bare pinch in the water will do.

Sounds like you did the exact right thing. Good job!

You may want to be sure that the injured hen is isolated from the other hens also. Even if they are normally very friendly with each other, the presence of blood can sometimes cause the others to get nasty.
You can take a warm, wet washcloth and clean some of the crusted blood away, but if the wound is generally clean, she probably just needs some time to recover in a quiet, dark place.
I'm sure others on this site will soon have more advice.
You do seem to llove your chickens - they are lucky to have you!
yippiechickie.gif

ok i tried to get the blood off by dripping water on it's neck. There is still a big clump of dried hard blood. I have yet another question-I can lift all of the skin off of my araucana's neck. I am afraid that if some of the water or ointment gets under the skin, that it will not be good and it might cause my chick to get sick or something. So I am wondering that if ointment or water gets underneath the chicken's skin, is it ok or something that I should take immediate care of?
fl.gif
please help. any advice is welcome.

Any chance you could take a picture of the neck? Is it a flap of skin?
It's OK if the water and ointment get into the open wound; both will help keep it clean.
Right now you are doing everything you can for your chicken. What she needs most is a warm, quiet, dimly lit place where she can rest and recover. Make sure she has plenty of water to drink also.
What's your hen's name?

ummm i do not really know how to get pictures on here. could you explain to me how to do it? I can see it's bone. the ointment helped and there is some skin growing back, but where the big clump of dried blood is, the skin can be lifted up. Right now it is laying down with its head to the side and the head is on the bottom of the cage. I do not have a name for it yet.- i got it Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom